Searchers look for missing Tahoe skier

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

The Associated Press
Posted: 02/23/2009 10:47:11 AM PST

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif.—A search has resumed for a South Lake Tahoe man reported missing in the backcountry near Emerald Bay.

The El Dorado County sheriff's office says Christopher Trethaway, 39, had apparently gone skiing in the Sierra Nevada backcountry Sunday and failed to return.

Authorities say his car was found by the Bayview Trailhead near Emerald Bay.

Crews began searching for him late Sunday, but the effort was suspended until Monday morning because of darkness and stormy conditions.

Officials warn that avalanche danger in the steep terrain is high.

———

Information from: Tahoe Daily Tribune, http://tahoe.com/tribune
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: Searchers look for missing Tahoe skier

Post by hikerduane »

They recovered the body and personal effects of the man missing. Found west of Cascade Lake, caught in an avalance.
Piece of cake.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

What a shame.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Yes. They were talking with one of his hiking buds just after the search, he was the kinda guy who looked out for dangers when out with friends. Close enough group, where when he failed to check in or whatever, the friend went looking and found his truck at the TH and called the authorities.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

I am still pretty shook up over this horrible accident...Chris is a dear friend to my husband and myself..I say is because I can't seem to grasp that he is gone.

He and Katie..which is who I meant Chris through...myself and a few others did a 8 day backpacking trip...we did the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1995 and than another backpacking trip with Chris and Katie doing the Zion narrows and the Escalante area in Utah.

I know Chris as a very kind good person and that he is going to be missed. Those two backpacking trips I did with him and Katie, I have very fond good happy memories of and will remember and cherish them.
My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Thank you both Eric and Duane
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

My condolences to you both, as well as other family and friends, for the untimely loss of such a valuable companion and colleague in life and adventure. May he rest in peace.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Sorry to hear that Anita, small world. Tough winter for you.
Piece of cake.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

This is very tragic and one of my biggest fears. I remember reading an interview years ago from Yvon Chouinard and he said he stopped backcountry skiing in winter because of avalanche danger. I figure if a guy who has climbed some of the most dangerous mountains and rock faces on the planet thinks backcountry skiing is too dangerous during the winter, so do I. I'm not one to let fear rule me or dictate my activities, but in the case of avalanches, I do. I remember going to an avalanche training course and they did a slideshow one night and showed a guy they had just dug out who perished in an avalanche. A young guy with lots of good gear and an excitement to explore, gone. There are too many "if" factors in reading snow for me to enjoy it. I still backcountry ski in non-avalanche prone areas or later in the season, but I don't ski like I wished I could.

I will say prayers for the family, and Anita, I'm sorry this is someone you knew and cared for.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
JimJ
Topix Novice

Post by JimJ »

I'm sorry I'm so late in offering my condolences, Anita. I'm simply not here that often. I read and heard about the tragedy via the news but never dreamed the lost skier might be a close friend of someone I care about. I'm so sorry. I know you hurt.

I will tell Lori of the bad news. I know she will join me in wishing you and your husband sympathy, comfort, peace.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

So Sincerely,
Jim & Lori Jarvis
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Buck...Thank you for your kind words..Yes I do not blame you with the fear of a avalanche....I think they are more powerful than most realize..the force and weight of that snow coming down.....just the little bit of snow that slides off of our roof can be very dangerous, I have seen it slide and have felt the force of it when it hits the ground it shakes our house...it's scary when you think that someone could be under it and get hit with it.

Jim & Lori....How are you two doing? Thank you so much for your comment. How is the weather there? It is really beuatiful here the last few days..I have missed hearing for you..I hope all is well. Have you heard of Buttermilk Falls? It is down in your neck of the woods.

Thank you both again