Short trip ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jay
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Short trip ideas

Post by Jay »

Looking for a good destination for next weekend. Probably just one night. 5 miles or less. Some kinda fishing. within an hour and a half of auburn/placerville. Trying to stay away from the snow. Obviously not completely away from it, but i dont wanna have to camp in the middle of a snow field either.

Thanks!
adam
Topix Acquainted

Re: Short trip ideas

Post by adam »

what about Loch Leven?
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/documents ... venROG.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not exactly sure how far from Auburn it is, but it's right off 80 around cisco grove, so it can't be too far. I've only been there on snowshoes in the spring, but was really impressed by what a nice area it was for such a short, accessible trip. I have no idea if there's fishing there, or if the snow has melted out yet, but you could probably call the forest service to find out.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Good suggestion! I was there a few years ago, and I did see fish. Don't know about camping there during the summer, but it is a lovely area, and not a bad hike. Pretty much straight up the hill to the Lakes...and then back down again. I'd guess four miles or less to the first lake...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jay
Topix Regular

Post by Jay »

Thanks guys.

Adam I read your post a little while ago and tried to get some information on those lakes. I was kinda discouraged by the fishing reports I did find, as they all seemed to think that the lakes were barren. Then MM comes in and throws me for a loop in the other direction! :D

I dont mind tough fishin, but I try to focus my angling attempts on lakes that do have fish.

MM, how long ago were you in there? Literally a few years? or 8,9,10 etc?

Anyways, appreciate the input guys, and I might go for the Loch Leven area, however, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Most of the lower-elevation lakes in the Desolation Wilderness (say, below 8000ft) are probably ice-free by now and several provide good fishing within five miles' distance from the nearest trailhead. Genevieve/Crag from Meeks Bay, Eagle/Lower Velma from Eagle Falls, and Grass/Susie/Heather from Glen Alpine are all potentially great destinations if they're thawed.

I don't know if you can reach Cherry Lake from Auburn in under 1.5 hours, but if so Kibbie Lake in NW Yosemite fits perfectly. It's been thawed for weeks, the fishing is good for decent-sized rainbows, and the hike is just over four easy miles.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Jay
Topix Regular

Post by Jay »

HMMMM.

Id be way into grass/heather, but assumed it would still be really snowy up there.

Have you been up Wrights Lake road yet? According to the ranger station, there were people getting high centered on snow drifts up there this past weekend. That just makes me wonder what Heather would be like.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

As of Fri. last week my contact at Fallen Leaf reported that Heather and Gilmore were still completely covered. However, he speculated that Grass was ice free. You just have to be very carefull on the logs crossing the very fast flowing creeks!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Darn, I'd heard from other reports on this board that lakes in the 7500 foot elevation range were thawed last weekend (and may have been ice-free for a few weeks) so I was hoping to visit Desolation this weekend. Maybe I'll have to wait a few weeks still.

Some of the lower-elevation lakes in the I-80 backcountry area like the Lindseys (6200-6400ft) may be thawed by now.

Matt