Post Your 2009 Skeeter Updates.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
fedak
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Post Your 2009 Skeeter Updates.

Post by fedak »

Sunday: Tuolumne toward Glen Aulin: 0 on the trail.
(Was swarmed when I got back to the car around 4, not sure if that was representative of dusk conditions)

Today: Desolation, Mt Tallac: 0 except for 1 non-aggressive swarm above Cathedral Lake.
Topix Newbie

Post by ADP »

Anyone been up by Mt. Tallac (Desolation Wilderness) and near the lakes there? Wondering if the snow has thawed out and the skeeters are biting yet. Plan to go there over the 4th of July weekend.
boddingtons
Topix Newbie

Post by boddingtons »

balzaccom wrote:This past weekend in Emigrant Wilderness, we spent 4 pretty soggy days at 7-8K, and got a total of two skeeter bites. Yeah, we use some Off, from time to time, but in camp we didn't even bother. Nothing to worry about. yet.
Where you at crabtree? What was snow like? Few of us about to (10 days from today) do a trans sierra hike Walker River to Gianelli. I know there is still more snow than we were hoping, but curious about actual feedback.
Thanks
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Mav,
Once we have photos ready, I'll get a TR together. But, for now, the entire loop from Wolverton to the hindside of the Kaweahs (via HST, Kaweah Gap, Pants Pass, Kaweah Pass) and back out was entirely bug free (came out on the 14th). Of course, the fact that we had every form of precipitation that occurs on either side of 32 degrees F probably was the main reason for this. Neither bugs nor humans thrive in super-chilled fog.
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you everyone for your posts.
CG, glad to hear you made it out, I am sure the weather made the trip a lot more
precarious than it should have been.
KC JED
Topix Acquainted

Post by KC JED »

Went to Kennedy Meadows in Tulare county this past weekend 6/12. Only received about 5 bites during three day stay. Fairly stiff breeze at times probably kept the skeeters in check. Most people in group only received a few bites and dog didn't get it too bad. I would say the skeeters were between a 1.5 and 2.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I spent Sunday morning until late afternoon ankle deep in a bogy Casa Vieja meadow fishing for Goldens and only saw one skeeter :)
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rrivera »

They are arriving unfortunately....I did an overnight to 5 Lakes Basin in Tahoe NF this weekend....when we headed out on Saturday morning there were several and the group was getting bitten. Thankfully the weather really cooled down and they disappeared and it was windy and cool on Sunday as well so they stayed away. Given the warmer weather in the forecast I suspect they are going to be coming out in force.
dmx
Topix Novice

Post by dmx »

Just got back from a 3 day trip in Desolation Wilderness 6/22. Awesome and empty of people. Mozzies are not too active yet in most places.

1) Bayview trail: 1
2) Rockbound Valley (near the rubicon): 3-4
3) Clyde Lake: 0 (it's frozen near there still)
4) Aloha Lake: 0
5) Gilmore Lake: 1
6) Dick's Pass/Dick's Lake: 0-1

It was pretty chilly at night in most places, which I think is keeping the mosquitoes at bay for now. Water in the rivers is high -- we must have made 8-10 icy crossings. There is a lot of water around and I'm sure the bugs will get thirsty soon enough...
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

This last weekend (6.27) Tahoe itself wasn't bad, but we hiked up to Velma Lakes, and the bugs were fierce. We talked to one couple who planned to spend five days up there, and ran out of bug juice two days early. I'd rate those lakes about 8-9 right now....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963