Middle Pal then Sil then agassiz in late Oct.

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
El Gigante
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Middle Pal then Sil then agassiz in late Oct.

Post by El Gigante »

I will be heading up middle palisade via the NE face from finger lake on late october 23rd ish. I am wondering if it is possible to drop off the other side and head down toward the palisade lakes basin and over cirque pass. Then i could do Mt Sill then head over to do Agassiz then down the northfork creek trail to the car as a loop.

I assume this drop from middle Pal is possible but didnt know how long it would take. any information would be helpful.

I am in good shape, can handle class 3-4 climbing but will not be taking ropes or rocks shoes. I will have about a 20 pound pack.

Clearly this trip is weather permitting. If i have to bail i may head to northlake trail head, does anyone know if the aspen trees in the lake sabrina area will still be in color that late?
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Middle Pal then Sil then agassiz in late Oct.

Post by mokelumnekid »

(Very!?) Ambitious plan for that time of year (short days, very cold) and carrying no pro. Good luck- I hope it all comes together for you.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

With a big storm that is predicted to bring a lot of snowfall headed to the Sierras as of right now, this reply is probably a moot point, but.....I would second Mokelumne's call for caution. In addition to the unroped climbing (along routes that can easily get into 5th class if route finding errors are made) there is the issue, should you in fact drop to the west of Middle Pal, of being trapped on the opposite side of the crest from safety should bad weather come in while you are there. If you carry adequate foul weather gear to protect you in the event of the weather turning during the trip, you will be carrying quite a load over Middle Pal. A big heavy pack while doing 4th and possibly 5th class climbing unroped is awkward indeed. A 4th class route is listed on the west face of Middle Pal in Secor (the "Farquhar Route"), but I would hesitate to try to find a route while descending that is 4th class on a complex face where many deviations would push things well into 5th class--it is harder to pick out routes on descent than ascent. Note also that if you are to exit the hiking part of the route as planned (say after Agassiz) that you won't end up at North Lake or Sabrina, but rather at South Lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Gigante
Topix Novice

Post by El Gigante »

Thank you both for the Advice. I think now the plan is to summit Middle Palisade from fingerlake and return the same way. Then Our group will drive around to south lake trail head and summit Agassiz then return the same way.

I agree if we get storms between now and then the first proposed route would be to difficult or at least to risky. I think i will wait till next year and do the first proposed trip in reverse. It seems from many "summit poster's" to be a better choice.

Again, thank you both for your ideas and advice.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Middle Pal from Finger Lake is no big deal itself, see some pics from our 2003 trip here:

http://tinyurl.com/ygg4dk2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but dropping off the other side is what is iffy. I like the suggestion of doing it in reverse, especially when you have more daylight (tho it is not a route I personally find appealing). Plus being in the cold really saps ones energy and if you get benighted that time of year it ain't pretty.
El Gigante
Topix Novice

Post by El Gigante »

Heading up today, forecast is perfect.