Current conditions for snowshoeing near Lone Pine and Bishop

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Current conditions for snowshoeing near Lone Pine and Bishop

Post by DAVELA »

Does anybody know what conditions are like for snowshoeing off of whitney portal road in lone pine,onion valley rd in Independance,and hiway 168 going to lake sabrina?Basically i would like to know where the roads get blocked or closed off because of snow.Then i just park and snowshoe from there.Just simple snowshoeing.
Also does anybody know what conditions might be for the little lakes valley rd/mosquito flats?Is it ever clear all the way to mosqito flats in winter?Thanks
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Current conditions for snowshoeing near Lone Pine and Bishop

Post by John Dittli »

Onion Valley gets closed at Seven Pines, Bishop Creek at Habeggers (so fk) and Aspendel (m & n fks). Rock Creek at North Fork Campground (though after big storms it may be closed at Tom's Place) Rk Ck requires Snow Park Permit.

Hope that helps

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Fairly current conditions from McGee Creek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

I wonder if todays weather will bring good snow cover...Someone last week told me snow around whitney portal wasnt great-like sugar crystals...im thinking of going up tomorrow or wait for next weeks big storm system?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;