Hooking up with other sierra snowshoers and trekkers for tri

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Hooking up with other sierra snowshoers and trekkers for tri

Post by DAVELA »

Just wondering if any of you know of a website or link for trekkers etc to find other people who want to share or do trips together?
Im thinking about this in order to save money.I figure doing a snowshoe trip just for a few days can cost a few hundred bucks when figuring in motel,gas,food.I usually do everything solo and i dont know if hooking up with people for this type of adventure is something common in the trekking community.
The part of the budget that gets blown out for me is motel costs.
In summer this is of no concern but in winter i dont know if i could handle twiddling my thumbs in the car in january when it gets dark at 5pm and its cold.Not to mention car camping in the cold.Does anybody here sleep in the car in jan/feb winter temps in owens valley and sierra?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Hooking up with other sierra snowshoers and trekkers for tri

Post by balzaccom »

We are a bit lucky, in that we have a few friends up in that area, so we often stay with them before and/or after a hike, whether that's in the summer or the winter. We've camped at Crane Flat in the snow....and yeah, we've spent an evening or two reading in the car with temps in the 20's.

All part of the adventure!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

The small group I do stuff with hangs out around the kitchen which is dug out of the snow. Doesn't sound like that is what you do. The group is doing Yosemite back country this coming weekend for two nights after celebrating in a cg New Year's Eve. They do some day hikes here and there also in Central and Northern CA. You do not show where you live either.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Some of us are car camping at the new visitor center in Lassen Volcanic NP this comingMLK weekend. No word yet if it will be affected by weather. No set activity plans that I know of, do as you please. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthCA_Hiking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is the group.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I sleep in my truck (FJ Cruiser) and its pretty comfortable. Its equipped with a refrigerator, bed, and I can work on my laptop and listen to music at night when I'm solo.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Snowy,

A frige in the car??? That would be nice. :thumbsup:

Hikerduane,

This norcal hiking group you have referred to many times before. I assume this is Naviguesser, Dunk, Songbird and others? That group? They do a lot of winter activities and yes, the kitchens they make are pretty awesome. Do you know Steve? The one who organized New Year's Eve get togethers on Lassen every year (Winterfest)? Can he be found in this group? I remember he held the Winterfest on Shasta one year due to virtually no snow on Lassen and we got snowed out from a terrible winter storm. I barely made it down off the mountain. I have tried to join that yahoo group a couple times before and it is not easy....finally gave up. Although this group does get out a lot, they are not passionate about fishing as I am, so I didn't persue things. I would like to know about Steve though....wonder how he is doing.....wish he would have another Winterfest!

Flip
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I'm not too computer savy, but I manage the site. Can't remember, but you can check around on the "page" and turn off the email feature, which if you belonged this last day or two would have been inundated with emails. So please come back. A few of us fish, not as passionate as you, but we want and do some fishing. I wish the guys could agree on a time and place to do a guys fishing trip. The women do a diva trip, guys are losers. Different forums/groups can be visited and have their own personalities.

Were you at the Winterfest at Shasta? I guess it turned out the best for me missing the group convoy to Lake Shasta for the night after getting snowed out, as there were rock slides on 70 going up the Feather River Canyon after I went thru that night. mtnsteve has had some physical setbacks, shoulders, back, etc. He was with us at Lassen last weekend, looked good but slept in his truck. Steve is going to try to do something Valentines Day weekend if the doctor will allow. He has done a lot in his life. Check out Facebook for him and I think some of our group planning may get started more on Facebook, even I am there too.

Forgot, yes, the others are there also.
Piece of cake.