Yosemite Snow Camping

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Snow Camping

Post by rlown »

I finally got to see your pics on your flickr link. Now, that is a LOT of white!! Some of those tents don't look 3-season, let alone ready for 60mph gusts and 2' of snow. And i wasn't really sure what that pic was of that yellow thing hanging down in a snow pit.

I did a trip of the back of Tioga Pass once in winter with a friend with kind of the same conditions. We walked up the road for about 5 miles as the 45 mph winds with the 60mph gusts blew all the snow off the road, so we couldn't ski up. We camped at Ellery in your conditions. The next day was clear and skiing around and up to Saddlebags was awsome. I have to say, i love my 3 season jansport with the old fiberglass poles. You put the rain fly over it and you can heat the thing with a candle; nothing can knock it down, and it doesn't sweat; heavy though.

Your trip looked really fun, given the conditions.

And per your last post, how old does a stove have to be to be antique?

Russ
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Looks like fun except perhaps for all the tents collapsing and the trip getting cut short. I hate spending a trip tentbound as well as awake all night continually digging out of heavy snow, so in many cases will usually bail on a trip if the weather is supposed to pack a punch. But it can be worth it sometimes just for the peace and to watch the snow fall
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

hikerduane wrote:I have been spending some of my tax refund on some vintage and antique stoves. I guess I am so old now, that they interest me.
Wish I would have known that a few months back. I just sold 3 stoves circa 1960's on Ebay.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I picked up two Svea 123's, one is close to 40 years old, the other one, somewhere there. I have a Optimus 42 coming and got an antique Svea 1 which is more a camping stove not a bping stove. I proceded to work on both the Svea 123's this afternoon, after unpacking my gear from a snow trip. I got both Svea's to run, not roaring like I had heard they should sound. The one I can't break the stem loose and the other, I couldn't pull the wick out so ended up wasting the wick and wire going thru it and the screen on the inside. The wick should have come right out. I'll have to visit the Spirit Burners forum to get some more info, hope the vintage stem is still ok with the ruined screen and it isn't a parts stove now.:(

I was wondering too, where the breaking point is for vintage and antique.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

see, this is why i asked what makes an antique stove. my friend took his svea 123 on our first backpacking trip, 33 years ago. I've got an old coleman double burner gas stove and a matching lantern that were made in the early 50's; i still use them in power outages. I would think antique would be something at least 60 years old? maybe more?

but, we're off track on the post. Maybe if SkagetMuir has more to post, we can start another thread on antique stoves.

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

I'm not sure I like being classified as an antique! :D But if you insist then I expect to be treated with a little more respect! :-k

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SkagetMuir »

rlown wrote:Some of those tents don't look 3-season, let alone ready for 60mph gusts and 2' of snow. And i wasn't really sure what that pic was of that yellow thing hanging down in a snow pit.
Your right some of those tents wern't 3 season and had no buisness being there, then again we had a few folks with 4 season tents who had issues to. I think it all depended on how people set up there tent pad with wind breaks and trenches to capture the snow shed from the tents. That yellow thing hanging in the trench was actually my rain fly for my backpack serving as a door to my underground kitchen. Kept the wind blown snow from entering. Worked pretty well.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."