Clarabelle Ross

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Gene.Rose
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Clarabelle Ross

Post by Gene.Rose »

Eric....How about a poignant piece on Adeline Smith and Clarabelle Ross, two of our recently departed Sierraphiles?
Either one of them had more mountain time than either John Muir or Little Joe LeConte.
Yeah, my bias is showing that today's gung-ho hikers need a little bit of history.
Am I reapeating myself? Regards, Gene
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Clarabelle Ross

Post by ERIC »

Howdy Gene,
Nice to see you here. :)
I can think of no one who could provide a more eloquent epilogue than you, to enlighten everyone here on the lives of these two extraordinary Sierra legends. Nearly 140 years of history in the Sierra Nevada between the two families...very impressive. End of an era. Sad. Very sad indeed.

Eric

PS: Although many on here may not know these two names, specifically, I think the stories which involve the Ross and Smith clans climbing mountains in the early 20th Century along side other more 'known' legends who now have their namesake's immortalized in the naming of some of those same peaks are a few of the many stories I've heard over the years that have drawn awe and admiration, from me at least.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix