Sierra Fishing Inspiration Photothon

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Fishing Inspiration Photothon

Post by windknot »

Thanks for sharing guys. Jthomascarter, I can't see your picture (just shows up as an attachment for me) but maybe there's something wrong on my end..

There was a thread a while back in the Fishing Hole in which a bunch of us were staring at a picture of a guy who had caught a huge golden and was posing with the big fish with his backpack on. The general sentiment was that the photo looked stage because we rarely fish with our full packs on our backs, but I ran across this photo today taken back in May of this year that proves I'm guilty of doing the same thing at least once. It's usually when I'm on my way to find a campsite but already have the rod strung up and can't resist a cast or five en route:

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I caught these two Brown trout on the Kern River above the Forks. One fish was my first catch of the day. I then fished up then back down about 2-3 miles of the river and returned to fish the same hole. At that time I caught the larger of the two fish. One was a male and the other a female. I was BP/fishing with 3 other men. They were impressed. I knew that I had just gotten lucky and told them so. I was, however very familiar with the river so it wasn't %100 luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by PatrickQuin »

Found this one just now snooping around my external drive. An old one, before i developed a penchant for fly casting. I still enjoy throwing that big black rooster tail around sometimes though. Its from one of my favorite trips, ironically it was a renegade flight over the hump into Yosemite. Damn dog is holding me back!

evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Although this is a small scale Brook, I believe its vivid color is note worthy! Enjoy!Image
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Nice.

Here's a nice brown being released a few Novembers ago to get the week started off right:
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

This works when two men are really hungry.
This is Mike Carter, just before we cooked the fish, and of course we ate all of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks guys, keep them coming!

I'm kind of limited by my attempt to not re-post pictures I've already posted in the fishing forum, but it's fun to dig through my collection of photos from old fishing trips and relive some of these fun trips.

Not one of the larger fish I've caught, but a beautiful Lahontan cutthroat caught in a tiny creek within the species' native drainage:
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Gorgeous Cutt' there Windknot! The size of the Cutt' (& trout in a general sense) doesnt affect the thrill of fishing, enjoying nautre, and the fact that we're still doing what we love - fishing! I'm sure you have seen the small models of trout I've caught over the past summer! Thanks for sharing.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks Evan. Where's your picture?? One fish pic per day means for each of us, not for all of us combined! I see some familiar names listed at the bottom of the forum who could throw up some prevously-unseen shots as well.. :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm guessing date doesn't matter, so here are 2 from Virginia Lk in 2005. Don't go there.. It's dead now.
IM000404.JPG
DSC01223.JPG
Sad it's now frog territory.. But, there are still even better lakes out there!