Yosemite Dec 4th and 5th

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
daddyray831
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Yosemite Dec 4th and 5th

Post by daddyray831 »

Hey guys,

taking a ride into the park early saturday AM. wondering if anyone has any info for me regarding: wawona point trail, upper yosemite falls trail, and the vernal and nevada route currently being used at this time. i know the trails, havent hiked them during this time of year and am particularly curious about the upper yosemite falls trail. is this possible right now? how icy slick and wet would it typically be expected to be at this time of year? have any of you hiked it in december before? also, never hiked to vernal and nevada falls at this time of year as well. any information would be great... thanks.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Yosemite Dec 4th and 5th

Post by balzaccom »

Mist trail was closed recently, due to dangerous ice on the steps...and will probably stay closed. Yosemite Falls trail is usually open as far as you feel like taking it, but the higher you get, the more snow there is. We were there last month and the rangers were really playing it day by day based on the weather...and I don't expect that the change. Tioga Road is closed for the season, as is Glacier point.

One hike you might consider is the Wawona grove--lovely in winter, and easily accessed from the southern entrance station...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
daddyray831
Topix Newbie

Re: Yosemite Dec 4th and 5th

Post by daddyray831 »

i was thinkin about wawona grove. i like that area. and ill prolly spend alot of time in the valley. i herd the mist trail was closed as well, but herd u can hike the JMT to vernal, the jump on the mist thru to nevada.. have u herd anything like this or have u done this hike this way? plannin on spending alot of time in the valley, particularly around sentinel meadow, cooks meadow, and some of the valley loop. goin with a female friend that has not experienced alot of the valley. have u hiked the upper yosemite falls trail with snow?