Greetings!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Greetings!

Post by Sharp Rock »

Greetings to all,

4-5 years ago, I was backpacking with a girlfriend. Fast foward to now, I just quit smoking (18 days) for the LAST time, and I want to pack! Dug out my old bp stuff, and when I think the urge to smoke is just to much, I go play with pack and stuff. Today, doggie and I are headed up for a day hike. Ranger suggested the "5 mile trail" just outside of Tuolumne City. Rain is expected. I don't care! :lol:

Jerry
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Good for you! :) Take water and maybe a couple snacks for the pup, and just go easy if it's your first time out since you stopped smoking! :)
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

And that we did. Didn't need any water for doggie. PLENTY running accross the trail. :D Didn't really rain on us, just spit a little. Then broke up pretty well on the way out. It was a nice way to begin. Now if it would just quit raining (and snowing), so we can go higher. Just for kicks, I tried to drive on into Cherry Lake. Ha, snow at 10 miles in, 20 more to go. I knew better, but wanted to see.

Thanks Steve.

Jerry
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Welcome to the forum Jerry!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Welcome! And good luck on quitting!

May of this year will be 24 years for me! I smoked for 10 years, and quit before a 5 day trip in '84. I tried for about a year and kept "cheating" before finally doing it. Altitude always bothered me, and it was worse right after smoking, so it was either smoking or the Sierra.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Smoked for 30 years...never bothered me until the last few. Now, March 15th marked one year since I quit...
It hurts (the lack of a smoke) most when I try to write my stories...
But, I figured that if I wanted to backpack another 10 years or so...and take along my 14 year old son - show him the ropes...something had to change.
Got to admit though...sometimes (in passing), a cigarette still smells real good.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

What a blessing to check this thread and find all this encouragement!

Trailblazer, thank you! Nice board here with fishing a featured topic!

Snow Nymph, thank you! Just what I need to hear. Smoke or the Sierra. The last few nights I've spent considerable time looking at your trip pics. Thank you for sharing them. It's helped alot.

Markskor, I smoked pretty much about the same amout of time. It always took it's toll on me. I had quit for the better part of 2 years while I was packing with that old girlfriend, but went back to it (stupid of me). Yes it does smell good, but has a great cost.

This will be a return to fishing for me as well. I set it down for the last 4 years while I hunted for gold. Now, I want to moderate my hobbies, and get back to the range (up high) that I've always loved. It won't be my first trip, but later this year, I'd really like to return over Piute Pass into Humphreys Basin. That was the last place we went in 2002. I want to go back! And doggie can go there too. :D Now I just need a smaller pack. The one I used before is HUGE. Downsizing is good!

Thanks again to all.

Jerry