best waterproof/shockproof point & shoot?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

best waterproof/shockproof point & shoot?

Post by strollinbones »

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to get myself a solid camera for use in the backcountry. As I am fly fishing more and more, I want it to be as water/shock proof as possible. Light weight is also a big plus. I don't need to get gallery-ready images... just solid recording of the fish I catch, and the surrounding areas.

Thus far, I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 as a good option, and it's pretty cheap.

Anyone know of another that's slim, effective, and near that price point?

Thanks,
Strollin' Bones
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: best waterproof/shockproof point & shoot?

Post by maverick »

Hi Strollinbones

Welcome to HST!
Try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209Waterproofgroup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. It's been in fresh and salt water. So far after 2 years, no problems. Its bright chrome/SS finish doubles as a camp/signal mirror :D . For a P&S, make sure it has image stabilization. It was one of the cams in Mav's reference.
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted

Post by strollinbones »

Thanks guys,
Both replies proved useful!
After reading the lengthy review, it loos like I am in a reasonable ballpark with the Panasonic. It got points for all my big needs: slim design, outdoor light, and long battery life. Plus: good video!

Hope to score the camera soon, and then I can finally record some of those memorable fishing holes.

Thanks, truly!
SB
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

shockproof doesn't mean you can drop the cam and it'll still work. That all depends on how you drop it and what it hits and where. for a P&S, wrist strap first, then pics.

If you're going to use it underwater, I got the floaty strap for mine. Means more in the ocean than near the shore of a lake, unless it's deep.
camera 001.JPG
The ocean is pretty tough on it, given the swells and surges where i dive. She's been strong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, definitely get the floaty strap, very useful little invention that can save your
investment.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This is orthogonal to the discussion, but this is where my camera plays when i'm in the Sea. That's my friend John, coming out of the tide. Our abalone dive was right about where that big, white swell is hitting that rock. It's about 6'-9' deep there.
Sea Ranch Apr 2011 001.JPG
It was way too rough that day to get a good underwater shot, but there's mid May :thumbsup: For a better view on the pic, click on the pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ

I liked you better when you used words I could understand! :moon:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's about a camera.. not about the words. NEPA/College boy.. you know the words. i do believe you have a habit of dropping cams that runs in your family? :)
wildrose
Topix Novice

Post by wildrose »

I did some research last year about the "tough" cameras on the market and dicided to purchase Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX5, 10.2 MP.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-D ... 589&sr=1-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The dpreview page in earlier reply e-mail was too old and didn't have the review for Sony DSC-TX5.
After that review, I was really want to get the Canon Powershot D10, but it was too bulky. I was waiting to Canon to make a lighter/smaller one (real pocket size) for almost 6 month before I bought the Sony.
So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Took it everywhere I go, used it on JMT, snoeshoe trips, near waterfalls and seashores with lots of splashes, as well as dusty places. I accidentally dropped it a few times on trails (soft and hard). It had some scraches on the surface, but it functioning as good as new.

Now, I looked at amazon.com, and there is a new version of Sony out there already Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX10, 16.2 MP.

For photo quality, I'd say it's a lot better than Olympus tough (I played with them too). The pictures came a litter harder than I liked sometimes. But, I can manage focusing on different darkness of the viewed area to get some control of exposure to compansate that. And there are some features on that Sony that is fun to play with.