Hoover TR - Green Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hoover TR - Green Lake

Post by DriveFly44 »

I usually post my TR's in the Fishing Hole but void of lies of monster fish and photo-shopped pics to support my tall tales, I will share my adventure here.

I was anxious to get into the Sierras and with the temps increasing here in the valley off I went. After two unsuccessful attempts in the same day to get over Sonora pass due to my pathfinder overheating, I learned that a new radiator was the cure to my trouble. With the problem fixed I drove up to the Kennedy Meadows area to settle in for the night and in the morning was treated to the beauty of this area.

Night Cap Peak Image

Granite DomeImage

Sonora pass was awesome and on my way down was blown away with views of the magnificent Leavitt Meadows and the roaring West Walker Image

Passing through Bridgeport I made a few stops before heading to the Green Creek TH. With bargains like these, I decided to top off the tank :) Image

Arriving at the TH, there was just one other car. As I was getting ready to roll, another vehicle pulled up and out jumped Phil and his pooch Max. Although I would make my way to Green with just my loyal hiking partner, Image
we would spend the next few days with those two.

The trail was just a bit wet with one creek crossing but was really of no concern. After the short hike up the hill we arrived (note: pic from the following morning).Image
Despite the warning from the ranger that we wouldn't be able to find a dry campsite at this 9K elevation lake, we didn't find that to be the case. Image

View up to West lake with cascade barely visible in upper left of pic. Image

The wind was steady at 25-30mph with gusts up to god knows........so no mosquitos!!!!! It blew until about 2am and then settled down. Laker was even getting tired of it. Image

The next morning we attempted to go to East lake which was about 500 feet higher but had to turn back due to sore paws, loss of trail, and a lotta snow :D

As the four of us headed back down to the cars, we decided we weren't done with this trip. We headed further south and conveniently ended up at the "mobile gas station", where I enjoyed their famous fish tacos and Phil powered down a hefty burger. We then decided to take a short hike into a local lake to see what was happening there. It didn't provide the kind of solitude that I prefer but the views were stunning. Image

We camped here for a day and enjoyed the experience and caught a few fish. The highlight for me was coaxing a nice 16-17" brown in the feeder stream to my fly and then performing my famous long distance release (so in turn no photo). The memory is with me however, and I have a witness and he's sworn to secrecy.

Heading back to the area later this week to take some of my friends who are new to backpacking. Should be a fun time and will report back on our adventure.

Ladd
Last edited by DriveFly44 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hoover TR - Green Lake

Post by maverick »

Hi DriveFly44

I would love to see your pictures, but your photo's are not showing.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Okay, now the photo's are up and running, worth the small wait!
Love the Green Lake, and Leavitt Meadow shots.
How old is the Laker? Has he been out on a lot of backpacking trips with you?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

Thanks Mav......beautiful area for sure!!! Laker is coming up on eight years and has been on several adventures with me. However, all he wants to do is jump in the water and spoil all my fishing :) It's worth it though.

Ladd
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Great pics of some beautiful country.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Nice report. Thank you.

A lot of snow up on Granite Dome. I'll be on the other side in 3 weeks.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

DriveFly44 wrote "However, all he wants to do is jump in the water and spoil all my
fishing :) It's worth it though."

That's a Lab for you, natural water lovers, and swimmers.

mtngirl
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by mtngirl »

Thanks for the great report and photos!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

DriveFly44, great cool pictures. I do feel compelled to point out one huge newbie mistake you made on your trip, though. Veteran backpackers in the area may disagree about other stuff, but the one thing they all know is this:

Never, ever buy gasoline in Bridgeport.
;)
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

TT, Haha, it was actually just my attempt to be somewhat humorous about the ridiculous price of gas over there. I actually just washed my windshield and that only cost me $3 :D

Ladd