antibiotics

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
funcrew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

antibiotics

Post by funcrew »

I've heard several mentions of carrying cipro or amoxycillin (sp?) in your first aid kit. Where do you get that - will an MD write a scrip for "just in case" anitbiotics? Also, antibiotics have a limited shelf life, so do you replace that item every year?
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: antibiotics

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Pills will last much longer than the listed expiration, some just about forever. In order for a course of antibiotics to be effective, they usually need to be taken for 10-14 days. So, if a member is sick enough to require them, you can correctly diagnose them, and you have no intention of hiking out for two weeks, you would need to carry enough to cover 4 doses a day for 10 days.

I'll let the experts here confirm this, but I'd think if someone is sick enough to require that kind of medication, best to get off the trail and back to civilization and let the doctor make the call.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

funcrew wrote:will an MD write a scrip for "just in case" anitbiotics?
Probably not, because unnecessary use of antibiotics has lead to the development of "super-bugs" that are resistant to most drugs and pose a real danger. I agree with Carne -- you should find a doctor instead if things seem that bad.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Some left over prescription pian killers are good to have, however. I have a few Vicoden packed just in case someone turns an ankle, but can still hobble out with the help of some strong meds.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pills do not last forever. With my current tooth ache, I first tried some old Vicodin and then some old Advil. When I got a refresh on the prescription from my dentist for the Vicodin, the difference was amazing. The Advil was my fault (didn't check the exp date), and my store run for a refresh brought about instant relief.

If you're doctor knows why you might want an emergency kit of pain killers, they will prescribe them for you, but just enough to "rescue" you (eg, sprained ankle, twisted knee). One of my friends has terrible trouble sleeping at altitude, and his doctor prescribed just enough Xanax to get him through a week long trip. Not saying that's a great solution, but at least he now isn't standing outside the tent in the middle of the night at 11k anymore.

Antibiotics would be different, as that would require diagnosis before treatment.

If you think you are sick, the best thing to do is head out as quickly as possible. Not sure I could actually hike out loaded on Vicodin, but the Advil works just fine. Not like most of us are 9 days from getting to a trailhead in most cases.
funcrew
Topix Acquainted

Post by funcrew »

Good stuff - thanks for your responses. I'd like to hear from some of the folks who do take antibiotics into the back country. I'll be up in Humphrey's basin for the next week, and unable to reply to this thread. Peace to all :)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

It depends on your relationship with your doc. I used to carry both prescription pain relievers and antibiotics but now just carry prescription antibiotic. I have a relatively high probability of getting a urinary tract infection due to a past surgery and consequently carry the antibiotics. Problem of course is that there is a possibility that the particular antibiotic won't work for the particular infection. So of course if I were to come up with uti symptoms I would head out asap rather than rely on the antibiotic.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!