Sony game changers

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sony game changers

Post by fishmonger »

announced Aug 23:

for the UL photo buff, this amazing compact Leica-esque camera even does full HD 24P video, 24.5mp sensor, Zeiss 24 f1.8 prime...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082 ... erview.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but since I don't care much about weight, I am drooling over this one, especially for video, this is a game changer for a $1400 camera:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/sony ... iew-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nikon is supposed to announce some new midrange cameras today (D300 and D700 replacements is the rumor).
KlimTheSmartCow
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Sony game changers

Post by KlimTheSmartCow »

The a77 should be quite a camera, I'm very excited about the 1080p video support, and that OLED Screen. The NEX-7 also looks cool, but since its not a traditional DSLR, I will want to mess with it in the store before I consider it. On a recent whitney hike, I brought a sony A850 and 3 lenses, I swore I would never do that again, so the NEX7 may be the solution to my problems.
Kevin
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I've always been sold to DSLRs, but the nex-7 has a lot of stuff going for itself. The only thing that currently stops me from adding it to my gear pile is the lack of a wired remote port (I use a panorama bot that triggers the camera that way, but I could hack an infrared remote to add a wired input for it...)

The thing I like a lot about the nex-7 is that a) it has the same DX sensor as the A77, but it has a lens mount distance that allows me to use a cheap adapter to use just about any lens on the planet. I have no Sony or Minolta glass, but there's a dozen Nikon mount lenses and then there's the EOS pro glass I can get any day from my friend... All of that will work on the nex-7, none will work on the A77.

But the thing I like the most about the Nex-7 is that with the OLED viewfinder and a high quality lens, it is a no-compromise camera for an ultra-light hike, something that in the past didn't exist in compacts. Guess the only thing slowing me down is the price of body + lens - quite an expensive way to save a few ounces over my current DSLR, so I'll be awaiting all sorts of tests and samples later this year before I even consider it.
KlimTheSmartCow
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by KlimTheSmartCow »

The ability to use multiple lens systems would be great. I don't personally have a need for the remote trigger port. My only worry with both cameras is going to be light sensitivity. If they are anything like the preproduction models, they will be very noisy sensors.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

the big challenge for the sensors will be to make up for the loss of 30% of the incoming light to the semi-refletive mirror that splits the light between the sensor and the AF/viewfinder sensor.

In the 90s I used a Canon EOS 1n RS for motorsports, which was one of the first bodies to use such a mirror. That camera was pretty much my least used body, because of the poor light performance. The 10fps it managed wasn't really that important, even shooting motorsports professionally.

The higher megapixel count alone on the new APC sensors is a challenge for sensor noise, and having to work with less light just amplifies the challenge. On the other hand, Sony keeps pushing the envelope. Thing is - I shoot lowest ISO 99% of the time, so as long as these sensors work below iso 800, they will be fine for my current needs.

I'll be watching the reviews. The NEX-7 is what interests me the most for the lens compatibility with just about anything I have using adapters, plus it's super compact for hiking.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am glad I saw this post about the Sony cameras. I currently use a Panasonic LX-5 for backpacking/fishing trips. This new Sony NEX-C3 is really getting my attention, and I wonder if anyone has any hands-on experience with it, or its predecessors, NEX-3 or NEX-5. It weighs less than the LX-5, but is more DSLR than compact camera. I don't need full frame, and I don't think I would ever lug a big DSLR around anymore. With the 18-55 lens, the NEX-C3 still weighs less than a pound, and is relatively small, and that is attractive to me if can I get a significantly higher quality camera for about 6 more ounces on my back. Any thoughts?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

richlong8 wrote: Any thoughts?
the Nex-5N is being drooled over in all the photo forums by those who could not wait for the Nex7. The Nex-c3 doesn't get much attention. I have to confess, I never bothered to look up what it can't do, so I had to go and do some reading:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynexc3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at first glance, it's video-crippled compared to the bigger models, but 720p will do for most people (not for me).

it can't take the OLED viewfinder so you must shoot with the LCD screen. Ick. I am a DSLR guy when it comes to framing through a viewfinder, and that's where I draw the line, small and light may be fine, but without a viewfinder, I don't want it.

The other biggy is that the sensor in the 5N is newer/better. See this coparison (French, yeah, but the images speak for themselves)

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-129 ... ue-12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C3 costs $599 with 18-55mm kit lens
5N costs $699 with 18-55mm kit lens.

No brainer for me, but I a waiting for the nex-7 release.

I can do without the touch screen of the 5N, but the sensor is a beauty. The nex-7 may be higher resolution and has the OLED viewfinder built in, but nobody knows what the production camera really will be able to do.

What I like the most about these compact cameras is the ability to use just about any SLR lens available with a relatively cheap adapter. For $40 I can use all my Nikon glass from the mid 80s on, and the built-in focus assist is ages ahead of my silly Nikon D90 that won't even meter with my manual focus Nikon glass. If Nikon doesn't hurry up and release a killer pro-summer body, I am going to try my luck with Sony.

The one thing about the entire Nex series I don't like is the lack of a wired remote input. I need that for my panorama bot, and hacking an infrared solution seems ridiculous, since I'd have to dance around in front of a rotating tripod head to keep aming it at the camera's front. The Alpha 77 would be better in that respect, except those DSLRs don't let you use Nikon or Canon lenses...

As it looks right now, I will probably get a 5N with viewfinder for lightweight hiking and street photography. Sweet camera. Check out this image thread for Nex cameras, mostly used with non-Nex glass:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329/72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks for the response fishmonger. Hmmh, that 5N does seem nice. I looked at the specs on the NEX-7 also, but it is very pricey, and about 6 ounces heavier than the NEX-C3. But that sounds like an incredible camera. I am not crazy about touch screens, but it seems as if you have some options on the NEX-5 not to use it, if I understand the reviews correctly, which would be a plus for me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Don't know if you have read this yet Fish: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57920.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what would interest me, if it does come to be, and if Canon has no 1 DS Mark 4 by
next summer: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57260.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote:Don't know if you have read this yet Fish: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57920.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what would interest me, if it does come to be, and if Canon has no 1 DS Mark 4 by
next summer: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum ... ic=57260.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that full frame version they are talking about certainly would be Image

Probably too expensive for me - and not just the body - if it really is that good, I'd spend even more money on glass. I'm in no hurry, so if the nex-9 rumors solidify, I may just have to see. That thing will cost well over $2k though, just because of the Leica target market.