High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by copeg »

This thread is a placeholder for comments, suggestions, and (gasp) problems associated with the new High Sierra Map (see the Announcements forum for more information regarding this new feature). Please reply to this thread should you encounter problems are would like to request additions to this HST feature.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by The Other Tom »

Great start ! Thanks ! This will be a wonderful resource.

I diddled around with it a bit and didn't see any long/regional trails when I checked the box ? Maybe haven't completed that part yet ?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Anybody is welcome to submit any "trails" known and will be included on the map.
I put on a few Yosemite examples...ones done, but there are many more secrets that need telling.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

The Other Tom wrote:Great start ! Thanks ! This will be a wonderful resource.

I diddled around with it a bit and didn't see any long/regional trails when I checked the box ? Maybe haven't completed that part yet ?
I think copeg is still working on how we can display the long regional maps. There was a problem with load time. For example, JMT is long and has a lot of bends and turns so it takes a while for the map to draw it. Might need to break those trails up by region (e.g. northern, central, southern Sierra).
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Tom! I'll echo markskor's comment here (edit: and Eric's). Any suggestions you may have we're all ears. Many categories are near completion, but a few others - such as the one you mention - are being worked on right now and we hope to hear of missing information from users such as yourself.

I will note that some of these trails are tough to place on the map and until we've found a descent solution we are holding off. For instance I recently input but subsequently removed the JMT - all 17,000 coordinates of it (you can imagine how long that took to load). Any other trails you can think of? Perhaps the High Sierra Trail, Sierra High Route....
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Wow! Great resource and a labor of love. Maps look great, but I'm sure it'll take a while for the add-ons. For the record, High Sierra Trail & Sierra High Route would be great in addition to JMT!
cg
copeg

Post by copeg »

cgundersen wrote:Wow! Great resource and a labor of love. Maps look great, but I'm sure it'll take a while for the add-ons. For the record, High Sierra Trail & Sierra High Route would be great in addition to JMT!
cg
Thanks for the input cg! We'll see what we can do in the near future. Some more to possibly add to the list: Rae Lakes Loop, Evolution Loop...
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

copeg wrote: I will note that some of these trails are tough to place on the map and until we've found a descent solution we are holding off. For instance I recently input but subsequently removed the JMT - all 17,000 coordinates of it (you can imagine how long that took to load). Any other trails you can think of? Perhaps the High Sierra Trail, Sierra High Route....
PCT comes to mind as another long trail but it'd be worse than the JMT to enter all the coordinates. I'm not a programmer, but what if you only input 50% of the coordinates, or some smaller %. Would that help ?
On the other hand, since most people know where the JMT(and other long trails) are, maybe you don't need to include them. I'm more interested in lesser known routes anyway. Of course, if you include them, they won't be lesser known :D
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Very cool feature.... :thumbsup:
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Nice work, guys! Yet another way I can spend time when I should be working... :D
—B²