Current Snow/Travel Conditions for Feather Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adixon
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Current Snow/Travel Conditions for Feather Pass?

Post by adixon »

I am an experieced backpacker and alpine mountaineer. I am putting and equipment list together for the Sierra High Route from Humphrey's Basin to Mammoth. Start date Sept 12.

Wondering if anybody has the current snow/travel condtions for Feather Pass. The only report I can find is from July. I have everything from trekking poles and YakTrax to crampons and axe (but obviously would like to leave the crampons and axe at home if not needed.)

Thanks, -A
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Current Snow/Travel Conditions for Feather Pass?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi,
If you check the photos of White Bear Pass that Drew posted (pg 17 of the backcountry updates, I think) that'll give you an idea of snow in that area. A duo I ran into at Teddy Bear Lake during the same time period had come over Feather and White Bear and they said White Bear was harder, because of a little uncertainty at the top about the best path. They had poles and lightweight boots, but no other snow gear. I'm sure there are enough tracks that you could leave the gear behind.
cg
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

I'm curious as well - adixon I may see you there! I'll be heading into the Bear Lakes basin via Dancing Bear on 9/12 and leaving via Feather after spending a couple of days there. So if anyone has been in that area recently please pipe up. I am expecting some snow but nothing insurmountable with just trekking poles and boots.
BTW, I have alot of x-country hiking and mountaineering experience
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
adixon
Topix Novice

Post by adixon »

cgundersen wrote:Hi,
A duo I ran into at Teddy Bear Lake during the same time period had come over Feather and White Bear and they said White Bear was harder, because of a little uncertainty at the top about the best path. They had poles and lightweight boots, but no other snow gear. I'm sure there are enough tracks that you could leave the gear behind.
cg
Thanks, that is very useful info......
mcgloner
Topix Newbie

Post by mcgloner »

I will be attempting a similar trip (Humphreys Basin to Duck Pass via SHR), leaving on Sept. 12th also. The ranger at White Mtn. Ranger Station in Bishop reported that feather pass was not a problem and snow gear was not suggested. I spoke with him on 9/8/11.

I will be entering Darwin Canyon via Lamark Col and picking up the SHR around Darwin Bench...Does anyone know the current conditions on Snow Tongue or Alpine Cols?
adixon
Topix Novice

Post by adixon »

Thanks, based on that and the Aug 29 report, all agree that the SHR over Feather and through the Bear Lakes Region should be doable. -a
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I went over Feather Pass (n to s) on Tuesday 9/6. About 1 mile of snow cover from the tarn at the base of the ascent, partially frozen still, until about the last 40' of the climb. Went straight up the gut first thing in the morning with micro-spikes, no issue whatsoever.

It is also passable as a boulder hop on the east edge of the snow field. But first thing in the morning with spikes, the snow is fastest and easiest route to the top.
adixon
Topix Novice

Post by adixon »

WOW! That is timely and useful info. What exactly do you mean by "micro spikes?"

Kahtoolas? Yack Trax?

-a
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I had kahtoola's. My hiking partner Art, kako ice trekkers. Both were up to the task.
adixon
Topix Novice

Post by adixon »

mcgloner wrote:I will be attempting a similar trip (Humphreys Basin to Duck Pass via SHR), leaving on Sept. 12th also. The ranger at White Mtn. Ranger Station in Bishop reported that feather pass was not a problem and snow gear was not suggested. I spoke with him on 9/8/11.

I will be entering Darwin Canyon via Lamark Col and picking up the SHR around Darwin Bench...Does anyone know the current conditions on Snow Tongue or Alpine Cols?
How did your trip go? Did you summit Feather Peak? -alan