High Sierra Ice Skating

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

High Sierra Ice Skating

Post by jessegooddog »

My visiting sister and I drove up Rock Creek Road just to see how far it was open and were dumbfounded to see Rock Creek Lake snow free but completely iced over, with at least a dozen ice skaters enjoying a sunny wind-free 18 degree morning!! I am sure Norman Rockwell was one of them! It was such a beautiful surprise I am still in awe. We also saw skaters at Twin Lakes in Mammoth, but the lakes were partially open, and the road closed beyond. And, no, we unfortunately did not check out the road to Mosquito Flat.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Ice Skating

Post by copeg »

Sounds like a good time. I am hoping John Dittli has a chance to get out, video, and post any ice skating adventures he's been on recently. I still often dig up the ones he posted a few years back from skating Humphrey's Basin

Ice Skating Humphrey's Basin
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Thank you for posting this great video!
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

yeah,awesome video.I wouldve never thought of bringing skates.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Thursday, Dec 8 - Call ahead before planning a long drive, but the Tioga Pass is open again. 209 372 0200 Yosemite info
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have seen skaters a few times in the at the Mammoth Lakes (In the 76 drougfht we drove all the way up to Lake Mamie in late January and found loca folks playing a hockey game), but had never even thought of folks hiking into the backcountry to skate. Love the vid and not surprised to see who supplied it.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

When we skied to the Ostrander Hut a few years back there was a supply of skates in the hut available for anyone who wanted to skate on the Lake. A couple people gave it a try. Definitely something you don't see every day.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I wonder what the conditions along Rock Cr. Rd. are like now? Its been cold enough to keep the lake iced over, but I bet its getting a little tenuous... I was thinking of taking a little trip down that way next week, but its supposed to be dry for at least another week.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Last Saturday there were patches of roadside snow and some cover in the shaded canyon. It was 18 at 11 am, one skater said the ice was 2 inches. There is a small chance of snow Sunday evening and beyond. I am planning a drive up the Tioga Pass early tomorrow - hoping to catch the eclipse also!
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Thanks for the kudos folks. Skating has been unbelievable this year. I just got back from a skating trip in the Cathedral Range and Lyell Fork. I'm really behind on processing stills and videos. Here's one from early December

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZLEqJ_ ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you enjoy it!

JD
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
http://www.johndittli.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail