Introduction (under duress) :-)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Introduction (under duress) :-)

Post by Maddog61 »

Hi, My name's Parker.
I'm posting this because two guys named Russ & Mark cornered me on the interwebs. They advised me that I had reached the 1 week lurking limit, and that if I knew what was good for me, I would identify myself. :)
I am a husband and a father of 2 awesome little boys.
I am a ROOKIE hiker/backpacker.
My first 2 trips were last July & September. The second trip was a 2 day 1 night hike w/2 friends to the Cottonwood Lakes basin, where we summited Langley, and I caught my first few golden trout. (hybrid..?) the reason it was only 1 night was because the snow stopped us from summiting in July.
Needless to say... I am hooked, and I have a lot to learn. Thus my lurking:-) I'm not all that interested in peak bagging this year(my toenail just fell off from Langley) ... Just exploring some more of the beautiful Sierras. Maybe Royce Lakes area?
BTW... Santa was awesome this year. He brought me a z-lite pad, a new osprey water bladder, a bear vault 450, some rain pants, and a jetboil! (and 11 days off w/my family. )
Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and a happy New Year!

-Parker

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Introduction (under duress) :-)

Post by gary c. »

MD61, welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Yup!
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

welcome aboard, Parker! sorry about dragging the intro out of you.. :D It was just interesting that you were on but never in any of the forums. I gathered it was a side effect of using your mobile device and tapatalk, after our PM exchange.

I think you'll find a lot of great info on this site. Congrats on the goldens.. bummer about the toenail. I lose or bruise my right big toenail every September. Guess that foot is a little longer and pronates more than the other.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hey! Welcome Maddog!

That's a strange looking fly reel you got on that rod!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

No offense taken :) Good icebreaker. I think Tapatalk leaves you logged in so it can notify you of new posts in the forums you're subscribed to.
And as far as my funny lookin' fly reel :)... I had my first fly fishing opportunity last summer on the Davidson river in NC. I loved it, but I have no gear yet.... Or skills for that matter. I did catch 1 nice trout though. I'll post a picture later as they upload tiny from my phone.
I may be picking some brains eventually about flyfishing too;-)
(and for the record- that fish from Cottonwood WAS caught on a fly:) didn't mean to put him in the dirt, but I was trying not to fall into the inlet!

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

MD

You were wise not to cross mark and russ they are rather large gnarly dudes! Best to keep on their good side. Quality food and booze works for me!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Welcome aboard and best wishes for many enjoyable trips in the future.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

And feel free to pick what brains I have left about fly fishing! Who knows, you might find something in there I forgot I knew1
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

balzaccom wrote:And feel free to pick what brains I have left about fly fishing! Who knows, you might find something in there I forgot I knew1
Thank you sir:-)