Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Post by maverick »

What is the oldest piece of gear that you have that is still functional, and used today?
Being a gear junkie the turnover rate is pretty extensive for me, but my Antelope MF
Bag by Western Mountaineering is well over 10 years old, and my oldest piece of gear
that still get usage in the Spring and Fall/Winter seasons.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Post by freestone »

A modification of my Trangia 27, a WM Versalite, the REI UL 60 backpack, and the Hilleberg Akto tent. All about 5 years old and all on the chopping block. My Bearicaide Scout will soon be king. The Kelty external frame pack, Sierra cup, and Eddie Bauer sleeping bag are long gone (but lovingly still in the gear closet!).
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frediver »

SEVA 123 purchased in 1969
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

North Face Unimog bag purchased in 1969. Refurbished around 98. Due to weight now relegated to car camping.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

A pair of Leki trekking poles I got in '07 or '08, when I started backpacking. Ironically, it's the only piece of gear I haven't replaced yet.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I think my oldest piece of gear is a black sleeping pad I got at Big 5 about 5 years ago. Most everything else gets replaced nearly every season. Even tents seem to only last me one season.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My oldest piece of gear are my old knees! OK, you mean "gear". I recycle a lot. Some of my old gear gets torn apart and used for other things. My pack bag that I now use on my old Kelty frame (1974) is made of left over stuff sacks that I had gathered over the years everytime I bought new gear that came in a bag. An old pack cover also became a day pack. An old closed cell sleeping pad (1970s) has now been cut up into a pot cozy, a sit pad, and extra padding for my hips on one of my day packs. I modified an old tent fly from a tent I never liked or used much (1970's) into a tarp that I use with trekking poles when I just use a bivy sack. My old Frostline Kit down sleeping bag, made in 1970, is still used as a car camping bag or a loaner bag when I take out others who do not have equipment of their own. The oldest gear that I regularly use are my maps. I still use USGS 7.5 min maps that I had purchased in the late 1960's. Almost forgot- Last year I used flies and lures from my fishing kit that I put togther in 1969. Unfortunately, many of the hooks had rusted and broke off easily. No wonder I did not catch many fish! I have a break-down fishing rod that I still use. I had a few tapered leaders still in the original wrappings- some from the 1960's. They seemed to work just fine.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Oh Daisy!

Maps, yes I have maps dating back to the 50's! Now too delicate to take in the backcountry but nice for planning. Of course trails have been relocated but somehow the contours remain the same.

Rogue

Your 100 day summers equal 10 years for most people so I would expect that you would have to renew your gear every year. Remember seam seal this year!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

My 1953 Brunton Compass. Hand me down from my dad. I should replace it with a lighter plastic one, but its sentimental so it just always tags along.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Troutdog

Yes! my Compass dates to my year in boyscouts in the late 50s. Used it once in the Sierra to call in a specific location for a fire report in the 80's but I always have it with me. Actually use it in the Cascades on overcast days going cross country as the overall topography is generally not very dramatic and the microtopography is complex.

Mike
Mike