Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Post by oleander »

I've always been curious how searches are conducted where the itinerary has the hiker going through multiple jurisdictions.

For instance: You start at an Inyo NF trailhead, enter John Muir Wilderness, then Kings Canyon, then exit via Inyo again. Let's say the last place seen is at the trailhead. Who takes over this case?

In this situation I would give my emergency contact person the phone numbers for all three jurisdictions.

- Elizabeth
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

oleander wrote:I've always been curious how searches are conducted where the itinerary has the hiker going through multiple jurisdictions.

For instance: You start at an Inyo NF trailhead, enter John Muir Wilderness, then Kings Canyon, then exit via Inyo again. Let's say the last place seen is at the trailhead. Who takes over this case?

In this situation I would give my emergency contact person the phone numbers for all three jurisdictions.

- Elizabeth
Last year, we looked for a group that traveled from North Lake to Sallie Keyes to Florence, whose itinerary would have ended at Kings Canyon's Road's End. We worked off a permit they got in Inyo. All three jurisdictions had representatives participating in the search with no problems coordinating with each other. A Park service ranger showed up at our side of the Sierra to coordinate directly with us, tho we were north and outside the park boundary, and we were in constant contact with Inyo who were searching up their side of Piute Pass while we were going up from Florence.

You really don't need to do anything more than make one phone call. Once the person on the other end of the phone hears the intended route they contact the other jurisdictions and pass along information.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So.. A more general question. If one of "us" dies on the trail, who would know? I know there are companies that do this, but.. we probably just drift off.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I guess you could start emailing forum members where you're going and email them again when you get back. And then when we don't hear from you, we know where to start looking.

:nod:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I haven't gone through this thread in a long time, but something I learned. Along with itinerary, drop dead date and time to assume overdue, duplicate maps with itinerary well marked and areas of interest delineated. Take a snapshot of the soles of your boots so boot prints may be known to SAR.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bumping this thread. a good read for the new people.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Tioga pass road closed briefly because of snow today? Not sure if this is the last storm of the season or the first one for the upcoming season.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

@freestone - looks like you may have accidentally posted to the wrong thread?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Yes, I did indeed and did not see a way to move it. It's old news anyway, the only item to add is that little mini cold snap should put a dent in the mosquito population. 38 degrees in Yosemite valley late last week, in the early AM.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I think this is an important thread, well-worthy of revisitation!

Here is what we do, essentially a modern variation of what my dad taught us in the 70s... Each member of our treks has a two-sided copy of our troute on a topo, generally from a Harrison map, with the intended route and options marked. The backside lists daily destinations, info about altitude and mileage, notes on meals scheduled and a list of each member on the trek, emergency numbers for use by trekkers, our Wilderness Permit numbers, emergency numbers for those "at home", a description of our lead vehicle, license plate and location we intend to park it. Each hikers has this in a ziplok baggy.

A copy of the "MapP sheet is left with our e-contact at home, in paper and pdf, and another sits in an envelope marked "Emergency Information" that sits on the dash of the lead vehicle and also lists the permit number on its face. That envelope contains our map sheet, but now with annotations on the map with intended camping sites circled, highlighting on the home numbers to call and written notes for options.

It takes about 20 minutes to make the sheet. In an emergency, our home crew can notify Rangers, who can find the lead vehicle and access the envelope, or simply email them our PDF. Alternatively, any trekker with cell signal can call out to 911 (preferred), ranger or SAR numbers, and has info on location, permit number etc... to give, or rangers can find it on our truck, verify the permit and just pop a lock and get info.