MRE's

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
poorflyfan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

MRE's

Post by poorflyfan »

Hi all, So I'm beginning to get into multiday hiking, gearing up an such. I'v enjoyed trying some of the recipes posted on weekend camping trips with the kids. However, I was wondering about just taking MRE's on a trip. Thoughts?

Boyd
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: MRE's

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I hiked with an AF Capt a couple of times and MREs were his go to meal. They are actually pretty tasty (had the bean and bacon one myself), but are pretty heavy with all the packaging, heat packs, snacks, etc. I would think if you broke them down they would be fine, but then again, I like the freeze dried meals others hate so maybe I'm not a good source for this one :D .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

I've discovered MREs have a few pros and cons to their use in backpacking:

Pro:
Good source of high-calorie food.
Some are actually pretty good
Well-rounded meals (usually).
Included heaters can remove need for stoves/cookware

Cons:
* Heavy
* Lots of packaging, which means lots of trash...and because of fire restrictions, that means you have to carry it all out...and it's bulky.
* To put it bluntly, they sit in you like a rock. And personally, constipation is tops in miserable feelings for me...especially when walking many miles.

For an overnight trip, I'd certainly take them. But for a multiple-day trip, I'd suggest more freeze-dried foods in ziplock baggies. They compact much better.

But to each his own, right? :D
poorflyfan
Topix Novice

Post by poorflyfan »

Apprecaite the pro's/con's Don. Never thought about the confounds of constipation - which I've experienced with em - on the trip.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

They are designed to have a near infinite shelf life while being stored in sub zero to 180 degree conditions at all elevations. The trade off is to get that kind of stability mean using only the kinds of ingredients that ...uhhh... kinda stick with you, and have more packaging than food (there's a reason for all the multiple layers of thick impermeable plastic).

So pick out the ingredients you like and repackage in waxed paper or similar.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=