Shipping gear to Yosemite ?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
orangehorse
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Shipping gear to Yosemite ?

Post by orangehorse »

Hi HST:

First off I would like to thank everyone involved with putting together this extremely informative forum. Although I've done a fair share of extended hikes, come late August I'm heading out solo to complete the JMT. Many years in the planning and now that I'm in the month of departure I had a question for everyone - is it possible to ship my pack and gear to the post office in Yosemite Village ? Flying into Fresno and the issue of how to protect my pack from the airlines keeps bothering me ? If I put into a nice duffel then I have to carry the duffel the whole way. Something cheaper woud be fine like a throw away plastic sack or cardboard box would work but then again there is always the chance that my backpack could be "lost" by the airline. A friend suggested simply duct taping the pact and trusting it will arrive without buckles missing etc. It seems like a perfect solution to pick up the trail pass and the backpack et al. right next door to each other once in Yosemite. Many thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. Cheers, Thomas.
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

Seems like a good idea to mail your gear to Yosemite but I'm guessing it would also be expensive. You will have to chose who trust most between the airline and the postal service to do their job!

It might not answer you question but the following has worked well for me. When I am flying with my gear I stuff it all into a larger duffel type bag along with any other 'post-hike' gear such as some clean clothes. I then mail the empty bag and spare gear to Lone Pine or other finishing point.

The downside is that you need to time your finish for a day the post office is open. The upside is you have extra gear so you don't have to travel in your hiking clothes and don't have to hike with anything you will not need on the trail.

An additional bonus for me is when I get back to my local airport with a bear can in the top of my bag. Customs ask what it is, I tell them, they pause trying to think of another question then just wave me through.
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

How about FedExing it to a FedEx location in Fresno and designate it "Hold For Pick Up" at the FedEx location. That way you don't have to hassle with our wonderful, hard-working, helpful folks at the TSA.

Just my $.02

Robert
wannabp
Topix Novice

Post by wannabp »

I have mailed stuff to Yosemite without any problems. Just be sure you are sending your stuff to Yosemite Village and not the Tuolumne PO. Or send your gear to Yosemite Village and your food, except for the first couple days, to Tuolumne so you don't have to lug it up the hill. I have also mailed stuff to the motel where I had reservations near the exit TH in Lone Pine. I called first, and they told me how they would like me to label the package.