Cottonwood Lakes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
IncredibleHuck
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Lakes?

Post by IncredibleHuck »

Hey guys. New to the site and also to backpacking.

One of my first trips here will be going to the Cottonwood Lakes. However my friend that i'm hiking with thinks that a Fri-Sat-Sun trip would not give us enough time for that area. How long of a hike is it from the trailhead back in to the lakes? 2-3 miles I think I read.

I figure if we would to leave Thursday night, stay the night in the parking lot and in the morning Hike to the lakes. That should give us plenty of time to set up camp that day, and fish Friday and Saturday.

Do you guys think this is a good hike for two rookies into Backpacking? I've hiked into the Little Lakes Valley just for day hikes, and that was no problem.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cottonwood Lakes?

Post by markskor »

IncredibleHuck wrote:Hey guys. New to the site and also to backpacking.

One of my first trips here will be going to the Cottonwood Lakes. However my friend that i'm hiking with thinks that a Fri-Sat-Sun trip would not give us enough time for that area. How long of a hike is it from the trailhead back in to the lakes? 2-3 miles I think I read.
More like 6 miles from Horseshoe Meadows to the Cottonwoods...also, you are at altitude so allow 3+ hours HM to Cottonwoods... fairly level/all trail/not much altitude gained, but...

IncredibleHuck wrote:Do you guys think this is a good hike for two rookies into Backpacking?
Nice intro hike...dynamic scenery and the possibilitly of good fishing prospects. BTW, there are specific fishing regs at the Cottonwoods...all barb-less only and only at one lake of the 5 (varies each year which one... check the regs for this year?) can you keep a 5-fish limit.
Mountainman who swims with trout
IncredibleHuck
Topix Novice

Post by IncredibleHuck »

markskor wrote:
IncredibleHuck wrote:Hey guys. New to the site and also to backpacking.

More like 6 miles from Horseshoe Meadows to the Cottonwoods...also, you are at altitude so allow 3+ hours HM to Cottonwoods... fairly level/not much altitude gained, but...

IncredibleHuck wrote:Do you guys think this is a good hike for two rookies into Backpacking?
Nice intro hike...dynamic scenery and the possibilitly of good fishing prospects. BTW, there are specific fishing regs at the Cottonwoods...all barb-less only and only at one lake (varies each year which one... check the regs for this year?) can you keep a 5-fish limit.

Thank you for the quick reply! We are primarily C&R guys, who may keep 1 or 2 for dinner if they aren't releasable. Is the terrain similar to the Little Lakes Valley?

We've been checking the regs, and will be sure to be changing hooks out to single barbless or to grind the barbs down on the jigs or flys that i'll be tossing.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

[rimg]100_4153.JPG[/rimg]
[rimg]100_4155.JPG[/rimg]
[rimg]100_4157.JPG[/rimg]
[rimg]100_4159.JPG[/rimg]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I think Cottonwood Lakes is a little more "east side Sierra arid" than Little Lakes Valley. It is a little more elevation gain, but not that steep. A couple of the lakes are pretty good sized, and fishing can be good, though the lower lakes get some fishing pressure.

windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Agree with Mark, though the distance is closer to 4.5 miles than 6 (I hiked from the largest CW lakes back to the trailhead in an hour and 15 minutes, moving quickly but not jogging).

This is a great destination for C&R fishermen looking to get into goldens and also trying out backpacking for the first time.
IncredibleHuck
Topix Novice

Post by IncredibleHuck »

Thanks for all the replies guys. How hard is it to get a permit for this area at this time of year? What about Labor Day weekend?
motox155
Topix Newbie

Post by motox155 »

Actually, the wife and I just did this one last week.

It was her first real "backpacking" trip. We camped near Lake 3. I wanted to pick somewhere that was far enough away to feel like you were actually backpacking but not so far away or tough to totally turn her off. She loved it and wants to go again.

According to my GPS it was about 5 mi from the parking lot to our campsite...but I did a few detours as well.

Compared to LLV it's a little more effort required...but not much. I took the wife to LLV a couple times just dayhiking. Went back as far as Chickenfoot.

I didn't fish too much but did manage a couple from Lake 3 & 4.

You may have a tough time getting a permit over the holiday.
rileySB
Topix Novice

Post by rileySB »

I actually did the Cottonwood lakes loop earlier this summer in June for my first ever backpacking trip, solo with my 1.5 year old lab. It was a bit scary but also exciting to get out there and do it on my own. I acclimated one night at the Horseshoe Meadows campground and headed out the next morning around 730am, got up to the beginning of the basin at about 10ish. I am by no means in good shape, and had a pack that weigh approx 40lbs. I made it all the way up to lakes 5 and 6, then tried to find a suitable spot (there were some great sheltered spots behind a large rock outcropping by Lake 4) and ended up at South Fork Lake. Overall, I thought it was a great 1st trip for a rookie. The wind was howling all day and night which made the trip memorable (because I hardly slept) but the scenery was beautiful and there were surprisingly very few people out there (even though the base camp was full when I left). Total mileage was about 15 miles (from all the walking around I did) and very minimal elevation gain. I made it back to Horseshoe Meadows from South Fork Lake in about 2 hours. Lots of creek crossing to fill up for water which made it nice. It may be tough to get a permit over the holidays because they issue it for the TH which is used as access for other trips into the backcountry.
Ianb
Topix Newbie

Post by Ianb »

Just as an FYI, Fires arent allowed at cottonwood lakes and it can get cold up there so bring some good insulation!