Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Alternate (maverick's) search thread.

Post by ERIC »

This will be my last warning.
ERIC wrote:To clarify...

I think the array of opinions for and against all aspects of this mission, including how participation was solicited, have been well documented already within this thread and elsewhere. The reason why this thread was reopened was to provide a place to discuss the logistics of the mission itself in hopes of improving efficiencies and safety. Let's please leave it at that.

Cheers,
ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Canukyea,

Thanks for checking in and your report. To climb up Sawmill (I've only been down it) is no small feat, not to mention on only an hour's sleep.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Canukyea -

Nicely done; thanks very much for the time and effort to cover all of that ground. You really gave it a good push over two days.

Shawn
Gator
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Gator »

Thank you Canuk.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Me and Maverick ascended Goodale Creek to the upper lakes. The route in and out took 3 days, and is serious buisness. Fortunately Maverick has serious navigation skills. We checked the ctreek as we went up and scanned the mountain sides. We did see four bighorn sheep, and bear scat. I also saw bobcat tracks.

We had good views of striped and goodale from the upper basin, and scanned what we could see thurougly with binoculars. There was no sign of any human in the canyon beginning to end, except for a small piece of mesh or a screen of some sort found at the first lake. It was a somber descent for me, i was hoping to find something.
Gator
Topix Newbie

Post by Gator »

Thank you so much Sparky and Maverick.
bkpkr
Topix Novice

Post by bkpkr »

sparky wrote:Me and Maverick ascended Goodale Creek to the upper lakes. The route in and out took 3 days, and is serious buisness...
Maverick, sparky, canukyea, Shawn—you went for a voluntary personal search having basically no clue where Larry has gone. Most of the terrain you searched was not only tough to walk and navigate through but also difficult to search. Even though against the odds, you went there and did a great job covering a quite big area with such a small team. I'm sure Larry's family and friends are very grateful for your initiative and efforts and so is HST community. You are "The Men".

Of course, a huge gratitude goes to official SAR team members as well for putting so much time, efforts and various resources to scale the search by ground and air over the vast terrain Larry was expected to travel through. There is still Inyo SAR team searching Split Mountain/Red Lake area we have not heard about their outcome yet.

However, regardless of the final result let's never forget all of these involved people's actions and dedications to the search. These actions represent one of many our characteristics that define us humans.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Because the alternate search has now concluded, and some of the original SAR efforts may still be underway, I am going to lock this thread and move Hobbes' post to the SEKI Public Affairs thread in case it's of any value.

A big THANK YOU to those who reported back on this venture, and for your time, skill and courage in setting out to do it.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix