crabtree pass conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pat h
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

crabtree pass conditions

Post by pat h »

I know last winter had tons of snow. Has anyone been over crabtree pass recently? I am planning on going over this pass in mid september 2006 and need to know if snow will be an issue.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I can't imagine snow being a problem. My wife and I crossed it in early July 1996, a moderately heavy year (although not quite what we had this year) and while there was snow it did not present a problem even that early in the season. I think snow will be a non factor in crossing Crabtree Pass when you're going; I'm sure it's a non factor as of right now.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Pat,
Got back a couple days ago from a trip that included Crabtree Pass and you'll be fine vis a vis snow. You can go find a couple patches, but nothing in the path of where you're going. Unless it does a very rare early snow, it'll be fine. Have fun!
CG
pat h
Topix Novice

Post by pat h »

Hey cgundersen, Thanks for the very current update. Will be going over NAP through Miter Basin, over Crabtree Pass, down the Crabtree Lakes, back up to Guitar Lake, up and over Whitney to Whitney Portal from Sept 18 to 24. It appears that the day over Crabtree Pass is the crux. Got any route finding hints? I've never been up Whitney and I am very excited to go from this direction especially mixing in a little off-trail. Pat H.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Pat,
We went in over Cottonwood Pass and spent the first night at Primrose. We left the trail at the lower Soldier Lake and as one heads along the west shore, there is a slightly beaten path up to the ridge that leads over into Miter basin. There may be better ways to get into the basin, but it's really not too challenging. The climb up to Sky Blue is pretty obvious (easier on the west side of the creek), but once you get to Sky Blue, go the long way around the lake (to the east). If you go the shorter route to the left, I've heard, and as far as I could tell visually, there is a steep ridge that is pretty much impassable. We took the gentlest contours to the lake above Sky Blue (a zig to the left and then following the gentlest contours back to the upper lake). However, we did see folks going the shorter, exposed granite and more-challenging route almost straight up from Sky Blue. Once you reach the upper lake, the ridge separating you from Crabtree basin blends in so nicely with the far wall of Crabtree basin that it gives the illusion that it will be a strenuous climb. Once you adjust your focus, that illusion vanishes into what turns into an appealing stroll. Once you hit Crabtree basin, you'll have the advantage of elevation to choose your route, and it's hard to go wrong. I've not been up to Guitar, but by then you're in well-travelled country. Incidentally, I plan to be in Dusy/Palisade basin over the same period, so if there is an early snow, we'll be there to see it!
Hope it's fun!
CG
pat h
Topix Novice

Post by pat h »

Whoa Nellie! I am not a wimp but please don't wish for snow cgund. I get plenty here in the north shore of Lake Tahoe and was hoping for a weather-free excursion. I was snowed on under the Minarets last year,same week. I guess it's a thrill. Snowed on 9-11-01 at Hilton Lake #6 with my wife. Not that cool when it was happening but certainly a better day than others will remember. Have some fun on your Dusy-Palisade trip. Was in Dusy 3 years ago. I still have a pano-photo of the alpenglow on the fridge. Knapsack or Thunderbolt? Pat
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Pat,
I'm definitely not pulling for snow; it's just your initial enquiry was about snow on Crabtree pass, and there always is that remote possibility of an early storm (though I have never, yet, gotten snowed on in the Sierras in September; October, yes; June, yes, but still not Sept). Anyway, we're still pondering our route. What we really wanted to do is to get to the lakes below Giraud peak (which, presumably, we'd access by going from Rainbow Lakes and over the saddle between Giraud and peak 12266) and then loop back to Dusy via Knapsack. However, I'm not too sure whether that saddle is a good idea, even with a light pack....so, maybe I should ask if any of the other folks here have given it a try!
CG
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Pat H, we were dayclimbing Split Mountain on 9-11-01 and got a light dusting of snow! We were on the JMT at the time and didn't know what happened til someone told us on Glen Pass 3 days later.

9/20/05: Storming on Hilgard http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/4641 ... 6560zZusNR

9/19/04: Snow accumulation by the end of the night: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2146 ... 4790YOuZBF

This year we moved our vacation to August
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pat h
Topix Novice

Post by pat h »

Nymph de Neige, Nice snow photos. I wonder if you have a similar disconnect concerning 9-11 as my wife and I have. We didn't find out until 3 days later, too. Do you remember and did you notice how quiet the skies were? Cgundersen, I have no first hand knowledge of your described route--have fun. Now putting on the final touches to my preparations for trip described in a post above. I'm the old bald guy in the blue tie-dye with the yellow Go-Lite "Perspective". If anybody sees me enroute - say hi. And if anybody is going to be on top of Whitney on Saturday the 23rd let me know---we'll share a candy bar and a high-five! Pat H
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Pat, we noticed how quiet it was. After we found out, we still had 8 days on the trail. Our friends came thru with our resupply! They even brought the LATimes!

The next week I think we only saw 4 guys on Forester Pass (their flight landed, and they drove for 3 days or so to make their trip!), and a single hiker further south. Planes were flying in 2s & 3s, and we were counting the minutes between them. Was really strange. We even planned to get food and hike back in if work was shut down. (it wasn't)

Pat, I'll be at the Portal on the 23rd so I'll look for you. I'll wear my tie-dye shirt, can't miss it.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;