What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
funcrew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by funcrew »

East side: Jack's waffle stop in Bishop
West side: Vermilion Resort at Edison Lake
Generically: Any Mexican restaurant with free table chips.
Davidpcvsamoa
Topix Newbie

Post by Davidpcvsamoa »

I'll add a few in the northwest:

Mia's - Cold Springs (Below Pinecrest, CA 108) - Pizza, Salad, sandwiches and beer
Diamondback Grill - Sonora (Old Town Sonora, off CA 108) - Burgers, salads, sweet potato fries
Old Priest Station Cafe - (Below Bridgeport, CA 120) - Burgers, sweet potato fries
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

For some reason I crave breakfast for dinner when I finish a hike. I didn't see it mentioned here but the Alabama Hills Cafe is pretty sweet in Lone Pine. They close early though. My other favs are Walker Burger and I'll 2nd Giantbrookies recommendation of Mikunis in Auburn if you are heading over interstate 80. It's 20 miles from my house but I sometimes find excuses to go out that way. They used to have Emu burgers which were awesome but that craze died out. I can be talked into pizza and cold beer rather easily too. Fresh fruit can't be beat either if you can find it.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Amigos in Bishop... excellent Mexican food. It's become a tradition for me over the last couple of years.
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I enjoyed my big plate of spaghetti Bolognese at Perry's in Mammoth last week. I was craving spaghetti and beer.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

The worst burger I've ever had, which happened to be in the eastern Sierra at Whiskey Creek. I'll never go there again. Actually I'm always after fresh veggies when I get off the trail and often head for thiad up in mammoth. Never have found a place worth stopping at in bishop. Jacks is just as bad as whiskey creek. The Alabama Hills Cafe in Lone Pine is about the best food in the Eastern Sierra that I've found.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I don't ever remember getting bad food at whiskey creek, but overpriced for what it is I would agree with
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Whiskey Creek closed last Friday in both Bishop and Mammoth.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Bishop Whiskey Creek is going to reopen, but I tend to agree with WJ, the food is sub-par and way over priced.
I'm no suture for my future.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

I use to cook for a living so I might not be the best judge here. Whiskey Creek burger were mushy. This is what happens when the grill isn't hot enought. The bun was tasteless and very low quality, wonder bread like. I figure if you can't make a descent burger I'm not going any further. Too bad a lot of employees are out of work.

Wanderin' Jack
Wanderin' Jack