Snowshoeing condition in Claveras Big Tree SP and Pinecrest

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
mshst
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Snowshoeing condition in Claveras Big Tree SP and Pinecrest

Post by mshst »

I'm living near San Jose, but itchy to do a couple of snowshoe trips this month. Since I have to drive alone, I'm thinking to go somewhere no more than 3hours drive frm my home. During summer, I found Claveras Big Tree SP and Pinecrest Lake national recreation trail are really nice. I wonder if anyone knows the snow condition there. Is it suitable for snowshoeing at this time of the year?
I know you are allowed to snowshoe in Claveras Big Tree SP, but never heard anyone snowshoed around Pinecrest Lake. Is it allowed to do so around that lake? Both of the places are just around 4000ft, not as good as high mountains. But for a beginner like myself, they may be a good place to start solo snowshoeing.
Any other suggestions for places within 3h drive from the SF Bay Area?

Thanks
k9mark
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Snowshoeing condition in Claveras Big Tree SP and Pinecrest

Post by k9mark »

There is snow at both places and plenty of areas around or near pinecrest. Im pretty sure pinecrest has a website. I would get a stanislaus natl forest map and pick from myriad of forest service roads to explore also.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes