One-day snowshow trip on westside Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

One-day snowshow trip on westside Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Post by oleander »

Can anyone recommend a particular snowshoe route accessed from the west side of Sequoia/Kings Canyon?

We are intermediate levels snowshoers in excellent shape. Orienteering experience. But would prefer to stay on a trail.

A loop among the Sequoias would be nice. An alpine venture with views of higher peaks could be even nicer. But I'm sure the Mineral King road is closed.

How is the route towards Pear Lake in the winter? (Would want to avoid The Watchtower version, if that is even an option...one of our people is scared of heights.)

Crescent Meadow?
Trail going to an overlook of Kings Canyon?

- Elizabeth
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: One-day snowshow trip on westside Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Post by copeg »

I've always enjoyed the trip up to Panther Gap. Fairly straightforward route with a fantastic view at the end. Depending upon the conditions you might be able to continue on towards Alta. If I recall correctly the route up and over the hump towards Pear lake can get steep in places.