Smoking and Backpacking

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Smoking and Backpacking

Post by maverick »

How many of you smoke cigarettes, cigar, or a pipe while backpacking or in camp?
Has anyone given you a hard time because of it? How do you dispose of your butts?
Is there anyone who used to smoke but quit because they got into backpacking?
To those of you who do not smoke, have you ever been annoyed by second hand
smoke on the trail?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Re: Smoking and Backpacking

Post by sparky »

I smoke cigs, at this point it is simply an addiction i feed. 99% of the time I dont enjoy it. Quitting is insanity, but I really need to buckle down and stick with it.

I will elaborate a little more on the hippocracy tossed around by non smokers when I have more time.

Saying that I do try to be aware of the smoke and where it is heading
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've backpacked with smokers. Doesn't bug me. They're generally courteous, and pack out the butts. Bugs me more if someone above treeliine builds a campfire.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Not many smokers in my circle. Went once with someone who turned out to be a pothead - that's more annoying due to the influence on the guy's behavior.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

AlmostThere wrote:Not many smokers in my circle. Went once with someone who turned out to be a pothead - that's more annoying due to the influence on the guy's behavior.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
lol, do tell.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

All the potheads I have known, and believe me, they are many, practice LNT, so I have no beef with them, or their behavior.
2ndhand smoke, and discarded cigarette butts are my personal pet hatreds. I have been fortunate enough to successfully avoid both on my Sierra trips. I believe that cigarette companies should be forced to buy back butts at a nickle a butt because that type of litter is so pervasive and disgusting. Apologies for getting off topic and ranting.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Let's just say there are those who have bad reactions to an otherwise benign drug and leave it at that.

I've had plenty of former potheads show up in my office - cumulatively, it's not benign. It can make you hallucinate - rare, but true.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Never been a smoker but been a second hand smoker all my life. As a result I loath cigarettes. After so many years of major exposure I have developed a sensitivity to second hand smoke. If someone smokes around me heavy I will get irritation in my nasal passages that can last as long as 6 weeks. Really being in the Sierra is the only time the effects of cigarette smoke can fully be healed for me because I am always exposed.

I also hate when people smoke and hike with me because it seems like it always works out where I am down wind of the person smoking.

Marijuana is a whole different story. I personally have never tried it but I have been around smokers of it my whole life and honestly any more these days everyone is a smoker of it. When I am around that type of smoke it has no negative effects at all. I even can breathe around it vs cigarettes where I instantly can't breathe and feel like I am suffocating.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Smoking of any kind while hiking is against fire restrictions in the Sierra most of the summer. In camp smoking may be legal if you follow the guidelines (cleared area, etc).

I prefer not to be around smokers of any kind.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I've been known to partake out there. This is my vacation so why not? It has no negative effects for me, even well above tree line. I usually have bourbon too, which can put you in a lot more trouble if you're not careful.

LNT is no concern, but being seen is, mainly out of courtesy to other hikers. So far so good there.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;