Rock Creek Road Snow Report

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Rock Creek Road Snow Report

Post by hikerdmb »

Anyone been up Rock Creek Road recently? I am wondering what the skiing is like up the road from the snow park. Is the road covered enough to ski into LLV?
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Re: Rock Creek Road Snow Report

Post by hikerdmb »

I will answer my own question for anyone else wondering about conditions. I went up this weekend and skied from the snow park area up to Rock Creek Lake on Saturday afternoon. The road is completely covered and the resort people have groomed it nicely. The road the rest of the way up was also great. As I drove by on my way south on 395 today (Monday 2/13/12) it was snowing nicely up there. There were a few other skiers in the area on Saturday but not crowded and a great ski up and fast ski down.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

Thanks for the update, what elavation is snow level in that area, and how deep is the snow pack?
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

The snow pack (off the road) was about 12-15 inches at Rock Creek Lake. I saw a couple of slopes where someone had made some turns just off the road but they looked like they were from the last storm a couple weeks ago. There was snow all the way up from Tom's Place but not skiable until almost to the snow park. I did not go high enough to find enough snow where I would want to make turns. I did get a good look at the Hourglass and there were rocks showing on the top section too.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Thanks! I keep hoping for some more snow before I head up to get in some xc skiing myself. Maybe another March miracle?
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
getfreshair
Topix Newbie

Post by getfreshair »

Was up there yesterday (1/20/'13) - great conditions. Road from 395 to parking lot clear of snow. Road up from parking lot well covered with snow - no sign of icing. Powder by the side of the trail still light and fluffy.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the conditions report Getfreshair, and welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

gfa,
mosquito flat trailhead parking lot??
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;