Trip Advice: Piute Pass - Lamarck Col loop

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

I'm trying to get one 'real' winter Sierra trip in this season and would appreciate any input. After doing a few local overnight snowshoe trips up to San Jacinto I'm considering doing a 4 day loop via Piute Pass to Alpine Col then out via LaMarck Col. The local at Bishop Outfitters confirmed that the road is clear to Aspendell, and possibly as high as the backpackers parking lot at the North Lake cutoff. If the weather forecasts are correct it looks like there may still be a warm weather window in two weeks.

I'm guessing four days would be enough although this route leaves plenty of options to bail out early or to just explore Humphreys Basin.

I will be using snowshoes and microspikes as needed. During the summer I usually hike 15 - 20 trail miles/day or 7 - 10 x/c miles/day.

Does four days for this winter loop trip seem reasonable?

Any input from the experienced/generous/wise HST members would be humbly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: Piute Pass - Lamarck Col loop

Post by Rockchucker »

Hi Andy, snow levels are very low this year (again!) so you should do ok with 4 days. Aside from the climb up piaute pass its primarily cross country. From Lamarck col to wonder lakes is really a neat area, there is a bit of an old trail on the south side of Lamark, but not much and I doubt I could find it in snow. The road should be clear all the way to north lake.
I'm no suture for my future.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Four days with snowshoes should be adequate if surface conditions are relatively firm. If we get some good late March dumpers it could become a wallow fest and you'll wish you went to Death Valley :D .

Keep your eye on conditions.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you Rockchucker and John. I appreciate your input, if the weather cooperates this could be a fun trip.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

If we don't get any more moisture there might not be any snow for you.
I'm no suture for my future.