Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Post by oldranger »

So is a similar vaccine available for humans?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Phil,

Maybe you need to leash up OldRanger and get him some Aversion therapy as well. :)

According to what i've been looking at, Mike, No. Not for humans.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

overheadx2 wrote:How did you like the Aversion therapy? Seems a little rough, but if a few shocks keep her away from snakes, I'll do it.
It's hard to say. The shocks make callie jump about 4 feet high, but 5 seconds later she's super happy and seems unfazed. I'm not overly concerned with it being traumatizing for her. My main concern is that it helps.

This year she seemed much more cautious on her second run through of it, but I suspect she may remember the shock collar more than the rattler.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. I read Cesar's take on this training at: http://www.cesarsway.com/askcesar/seaso ... n-Training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he's right, and i think he is, it's not so much about the shock but the smell. If they're not employing live snakes for the smell, or maybe even dead ones, the shock might only be about the shape. That's not what happened in your case. It was a rustle in the bushes. That's a smell as well that needs to be taught.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

I looked at the videos for the Bass Pro trainer. They have live muzzled snakes with and without rattles as well as snake skins for smell. They hide the snake and just let it rattle with electrical reinforcement, they do the same with the live snake with and without rattles and just with the skin so the dog is afraid of the sight, sound and smell.
Last edited by overheadx2 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

gotta have the smell. shock collars are good for some training, but mostly "come back". if you can associate that to the smell, it's priceless.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

My dog was also bitten on the snout by a rattler, about two years ago. His face started to swell almost instantly. Unfortunately for both of us, we were at the bottom of a rather steep hill and my car was at the top. So I picked up the dog, all 65 lbs worth, to carry him up the hill and as we arrived at the car we both must have looked pretty bad.

I proceeded to break every vehicle code in the book on the way to the vet. Thankfully they carried the anti-venom (some do not). The gave him two doses of the stuff and released him the next day.

This all occurred in the country about ten minutes away from my home where I often take the dog for a walk, off leash, in a "safe area". Now I drive the car around the same dirt road I walk the dog, and keep the dog nearby (no more running ahead or out into a field).

Glad your dog is okay, I know that feeling too well.

A more recent pic, but same hill.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

overheadx2 wrote:I looked at the videos for the Bass Pro trainer. They have live muzzled snakes with and without rattles as well as snake skins for smell. They hide the snake and just let it rattle with electrical reinforcement, they do the same with the live snake with and without rattles and just with the skin so the dog is afraid of the sight, sound and smell.
Perfect.. That's what the dog needs.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

overheadx2 wrote:I looked at the videos for the Bass Pro trainer. They have live muzzled snakes with and without rattles as well as snake skins for smell. They hide the snake and just let it rattle with electrical reinforcement, they do the same with the live snake with and without rattles and just with the skin so the dog is afraid of the sight, sound and smell.
This sounds identical to the trainings that Callie has been in.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Well, I hate to revisit this but for the benefit of others, here it goes. My dog and hiking buddy, laker, who many of you have probably seen from my TR's was bitten twice (as seen in photos) when he was one. It was one of the worst days of my life and I get sick thinking about it to this day. I thought I had lost him.

The pics above were actually taken nearly two weeks after he was hit and his cast came off (most dogs get hit on their snouts). A baby rattler was the culprit (the worst kind since they don't control their venom) and my little guy had to have several vials of the anti venom - $800 each. His leg was nearly amputated. He had other complications related to this and after all was said and done, my combined vet bill was $5,450. Yes you read that right. Best money I have ever spent.

A month after this incident I was made aware of the vaccination and needless to say the $60 annual investment is a no-brainer (training may not be a bad idea either). For some of you on the fence, I hope you consider it after reading this. It obviously isn't a full prevention but from what I understand it drastically reduces the effects of a bite. Be safe.

Ladd

note: This took place at Lake Don Pedro while we were visiting some friends on their houseboat. I was playing fetch when laker swam to shore to relieve himself. He was popped near a rocky area 3 feet from the water.