Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Post by schmalz »

I now have an appointment for the vaccine this weekend. Thanks for helping push me to do this!
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

remember. even with the vaccine, you still need to take your pet to a vet after a bite.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

rlown wrote:remember. even with the vaccine, you still need to take your pet to a vet after a bite.
Absolutely.......it just slows the effects down. Thanks Rlown.

Ladd
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

I inquired with my vet about the vaccine and he absolutely will not do it. Says the side effects can do more harm than a actual bite and you never know which dog is going to be allergic. So I have signed Max up for the aversion class instead. I really do appreciate everyone's input on this matter as I never knew there was such a class offered. $95 is a cheap alternative. Hopefully it will curb his inquisitive nature for everything that moves.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

I do both on my lab. Vacine every year and she has had the training twice. They say you should get the vacine just before the snakes come out in the spring so it will be the most effective. I guess it starts to be less effective after six months or so.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Bill, I went online and looked for side effect of the vaccine, and couldn't find any thing besides a possible lump at the injection site or possible flu like symptoms. There was no discussion of serious side effects. Did he mention what he thought could possibly happen?
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I consulted 5 different vets and they all supported the shot. Doesn't mean that the vaccination is void of side effects but I don't know of any that are of concern. I'm sure you can find a vet that has concerns - like Bills. But obviously after my situation that I documented in this topic, I was willing to do it. To each their own.

Ladd
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Here is the interesting part. The people that do the aversion class also advised against the vaccine. The lady said she has seen huge lumps on dogs that have had the vaccine that don't go away. I have mixed feelings at this point. Part of me says do it and the other part says don't. In defense of the don't I have been backpacking now for over 45 yrs. and have not encountered one rattler yet. Doesn't mean I can't or that I won't either. I believe that I will research the vaccine a little bit further before I decide.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

My Lab has had it for the last three years (3X) and no side effects.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If I were a vet, i'd support the shot as well; more $'s inbound. Mine said flat out they don't do it as the efficacy isn't there. YVMMV. They pointed me to other vets who would do it. I can't find an actual historical study on the side effects. Drug companies are fun that way.

Personally, i'd go with two rounds of the aversion therapy.