Anyone been up Convict Canyon lately?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
L4-L5
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Anyone been up Convict Canyon lately?

Post by L4-L5 »

...I read that there was some flash floods in July and am wondering how bad the trail is?

Thanks for your help!

Tony
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anyone been up Convict Canyon lately?

Post by maverick »

Hi L4-L5

Welcome to HST! Have tried calling the Mammoth Ranger Station at 760-924-5500
for any info?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

A student of mine went up back in mid-late July and reported to me that the bridge over Convict Creek was down, but the trail was fine. At this time of year and following a dry winter, Convict Creek will not prove to be much of a barrier.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I went up in mid july, no fresh flash flood damage that I saw, at least nothing out of the ordinary.
Tanner68
Topix Newbie

Post by Tanner68 »

I think the website misstates the location.

I was there mid August.

There were numerous debris flows that impacted the trail. It is the section between CL and the bridge, where the trail is closest to the creek. Don't give it a second thought. There are cairns and the path is well worn.
L4-L5
Topix Newbie

Post by L4-L5 »

thank you!
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

hi all-
planning a trip out to Mildred Lake via Convict Canyon this coming early August .

went to book permit and saw the wash out notice coming from last July 22 rock/mudflow.
have read through all posts on this topic here and am not too concerned -as will be fairly late season, so creek will be bit lower- just wondering if theres any new concerns on trail obstacles.

'flying' the route on Google Earth it seems very straight forward even if trail is obscured here and there.
any info would be appreciated.
thanks!

PS hows the fishing up there @ Mildred, Dorothy, Bright Dot areas?
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

I was up there four? days ago. The "million dollar" bridge is still gone as it has been since the year they built it; '86 as I recall. Nothing new or out of the ordinary to report.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

sweet John.
thanks for the update.
you do any fishing out there? curious to hear if its any good? Lake Dorothy looks like an amazingly beautiful spot to fish regardless of whats biting/not.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bbayley80,

Please start your own seperate thread so you do not piggyback off the OP's old thread.
Thanks Mav
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org