Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Dog got hit by a rattlesnake

Post by overheadx2 »

If you look at the U.C. Davis site regarding the vaccine it states that common side effects are simple lumps and cysts that resolve within weeks. A less common side effect is flu like symptoms. The one side effect that seems to be the problem is the possibility of anaphylactic shock which accurs in 1 out of every 250k vaccines. The strange thing is that I don't ever get the flu shot for the exact same reason. I often got flu symptoms from the vaccine, and am slightly concerned about death and partial permanent paralysis associated with Guillain-barre disease from 1 in 750k flu vaccinations (I have met a guy who is hemiplegic from being vaccinated). So if you are willing to take the risk of death or paralysis on a flu vaccination so you don't get sick, I wouldn't see why you would concern yourself with vaccinating your dog for a possible fatal bite. That said, I'll still have to think about it. Phil
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Post by chrisdiercks »

My gsp has been getting the vaccine since she was 1 year, and has had the aversion training (sight, smell, and sound). She is over 6 now and we have never had a problem. I do remember our vet splitting the first dose up into 2 the first time around to lessen any side effects (this was 5 years ago) and she was lethargic/not feeling well for a few weeks after the first round. After that she was good to go. Our vet works with field dogs and told me that he feels the vaccine has saved a couple dogs lives. A friend of ours lab (without the vaccine) got tagged by a western diamondback; left holes 1.25" apart, in the lower leg. Three anti-venom vials (down here $700 a vial) plus blood monitoring later, the bill was basically $3500. Vaccine would have lowered that I was told.

Aversion training can be a work in progress. Another friend of mine and I had our hunting dogs take the classes the same time. His dog won't even cross over a rattlesnake track, where as mine is just more cautious. She is excellent with the "leave it" command though, and we get lots of practice each year :unibrow: . Hence, I keep up on the vaccine.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Took my dog out for a hike up to mount San Gabriel two weeks ago after the aversion training and ran across another rattler. Amazingly we almost stepped on it as it was on the trail sunning. The thing didn't rattle, but slowly started to move off the trail. The dog was certainly more cautious but still wanted to go see it and sniff it. If she would have been off leash there is a strong chance she would have got bit again. Back to round two of avertion training. The training made her more cautious, but she is still a curious puppy.