Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottawr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by scottawr »

Hello,

23 year old from orange county, dad used to take me camping/backpacking when I was a kid loved nature. To get keep in shape after college lacrosse I started hiking again with my close friends my age about a year ago they love it. I had taken them on two trips last year bishop pass and lake ediza(can post but I figure they are common places and the pics are from last year). my home mountains are the San Gabriel and Santa Ana mountains spend most of my free time there. I try to take 2 trips a year to the sierra a year lurking here to see what awesome places you guys go to. just had mt first child a month ago and I hope to take him out to experience the freedom that nature gives.

thanks for all the great info, I hope to contribute when I can.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi GreenhornBackpacker,

Welcome to HST! Lake Ediza will definitely get the backpacking juices flowing
again, beautiful lake. What part of the JMT are you planning to visit?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Scottawr,

Welcome to HST! Please post your TR and pictures, we never get tired of seeing
anything Sierra or beyond here on HST! :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne via the Shadow Lake trail. I thought I could scout out the Shadow Lake trail to Ediza and then I could advise my friends on what to expect. On the other hand, doing a trail I'm already familiar with might be better for a solo newbie. Camping in the backpacking camps near the High Sierra Camps for example with other people around might be safer. Still thinking about it and waiting for no snow/ice on the trail.
Sandcrab
Topix Newbie

Post by Sandcrab »

Hey everyone!

I stumbled upon this forum while researching options for a trip starting late July, & y'all have been quite helpful with your past posts. Given permit availability at the time & some guidance, we're heading up to what my Scout troop called "French Bench" above French Canyon near Humphreys Basin.

I'm 46 & have been backpacking for 40 years & in the Sierra for 36 years, starting somewhat reluctantly with my father dragging me into the woods. A lot of those Sierra trips were as a teenager in scouting (my Southern California troop went on a long Sierra trip every August), but I have returned since as a carefree adult & now with my own son in tow.

I've bagged Whitney five times, but my tallest peak is Kilimanjaro at 19,400' or so. I'm not so interested in the mountaineering as much as I was in my earlier years, but as my son's ambitions grow, I may find myself clambering up some godforsaken peaks I haven't considered since I was a kid myself.

This forum is a great way to get back to the things I loved so much to discuss when I had the time & means to walk over a pass at the drop of a hat. Thanks to y'all for what you've collected here!

Sandcrab
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Crabby,

Kilimanjaro would be fun, a TR with photo's of that would be really nice addition
in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. ;)
5 times up Whitney, all the trail route or some via the mountaineers route?

exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

I suppose I'm mostly a lurker living vicariously through all of your adventures. :) I'm 36-year-old dad (and geek) who loves the Eastern Sierras. I love the giant granite peaks shooting up above the glacial lakes and tree line.

I work hard and play hard so I don't get too many opportunities to hike in the summer. I'm also an avid fisherman so when I do hike into the backcountry it's mostly for the awesome fishing opportunities. I don't really go searching for lunkers, though, as most might - I'm mostly looking to get into a good C&R bite and also learn different techniques in catching fish with new lures, flies, setups, etc.

I've only done day hikes up to this point to various ES destinations over the last 7 years, but this summer, if things work out, I'll be doing my first overnighter into the backcountry.

Oh, and I'd have to say I'm pretty OCD about it all... LOL. I have spreadsheets of future hikes, notes from past hikes, I study topos, Google Maps, and other various material for days on end. By the time I hike, I typically have the route memorized in terms of landmarks, lakes, distance, etc. but always take maps just in case.

The information that many of you provide is invaluable for those of us that only get a chance to visit the ES once or twice a year. It really helps to be able to not waste any time chasing fish in fishless lakes or heading to a lake that's been frozen over (which shouldn't be an issue this summer :(). So, for that, I truly thank all of you who contribute to this forum.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Exodus,

I see you have not been welcomed aboard yet, so welcome to HST Exodus!
Great to read that after 7 years you'll be doing your first overnighter! It will be
a blast, but be prepared to get addicted to it. :)
Where in the ES are you planing this first overnighter to? Looking forward to reading
about your experience. :thumbsup:

exodus
Topix Acquainted

Post by exodus »

Looking at either the Kearsarge Pass to Bullfrog / Kearsarge Lakes or Sabrina Lake Backcountry (Baboon Lakes / Hungry Packer / Etc.). We've been to many of the easier day hike areas (LLV, 20 Lakes Basin, etc.) and so want to do something new we haven't been to before, but something that if we needed to we could hike right back out.
Sandcrab
Topix Newbie

Post by Sandcrab »

maverick wrote:Hey Crabby,

Kilimanjaro would be fun, a TR with photo's of that would be really nice addition
in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. ;)
5 times up Whitney, all the trail route or some via the mountaineers route?
1. I'd need to dig out Kili photos from some archives, but I'll put this on the rainy day list. We did that in 2000, so some shots may still be on 3.5-inch diskettes -- yikes!

2. All the trail route. Though I've used ropes for people & packs in some Class 3 & 4 routes, I don't like to do that -- just not my thang, but I will if it gets me from here to there. Bagged Whitney three times with Scouts; twice as an adult guiding others on their first forays into the Sierra. (I'm sure there are those who peak it five times a year, though.)