Big Margaret Lake to Anne Lake cross-country route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wrjones
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Big Margaret Lake to Anne Lake cross-country route?

Post by wrjones »

We are seeking information on a possible cross-country route from Big margaret Lake to Anne Lake over the Silver Divide. We are experienced backpackers (10-day trips each year for many years) and able to do limited class 2. We would carry 35-40 pound packs over the route. Would like to know if there is a use trail, ducks, etc., location of best route, and difficulty, especially if beyond class 2. Testimony from persons who have actually done the route is sought. So are links to descriptions of trips across. Thanks.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Big Margaret Lake to Anne Lake cross-country route?

Post by TehipiteTom »

No personal knowledge, but here's a climber.org trip report with a route from Margaret to Anne:
I left Big Margaret Lake around 2pm, following a faint use trail around the north-northeast tip of the lake until it ended at a campsite. From here I started up the ridge, which has fabulous footing (grass and slabs and big trees) and could be used as an approach to Silver Peak also....Eventually I drifted off to the south of the ridge (into the drainage that feeds BML)....

At the head of the valley you can pop over a second class saddle that leads southeast to Devil's Bathtub, or you can pop over a second class saddle that leads northeast to Beetlebug Lake. (I took the latter, having been over the former on my first climb of Silver Peak.) There are man-sized boulders at the bottom and talus at the top, but the rocks are all stable and it's only a few hundred feet up. The pass is second class on both sides.

I left the saddle (which I'd love to call Anne Margaret, except it doesn't lead directly to Anne Lake) at 5pm. You can drop 100' and then traverse some beautiful slabs to the northeast. Even in late July on a low-snow year, there were major snowfields here which had to be crossed: early morning ice could be a problem, but I got a small standing glissade on the soft afternoon corn. I stayed a bit higher (around 10900') than Secor's book suggests, and didn't go to the low point (10800') on the ridge separating Beetlebug and Anne lakes. Instead, I recommend staying high and traversing south to the drainage which feeds Anne Lake. The tundra and tarns there are stunning, and if you head directly to Anne (or any downhill direction) from the 10800' low point, you'll spend time dithering between slabby cliffs that alternate between great walking and 50' drops you have downclimb or go back up to get around.
wrjones
Topix Newbie

Post by wrjones »

Thanks to Tehipite Tom for the reference describing the route from Big Margaret Lake toward Anne Lake. Several others have visited this forum topic but only Tehipite Tom has posted. Asking others who have hiked in this general area has revealed no one else who has made this route. If anyone has further information--especially from personal experience--on crossing the ridge on this cross-country route, it would be most welcome.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Probably not a lot of help, but I've skied over the Margaret/Beetlebug pass; pretty darn steep on the Margaret side. Don't know what kind of benches might have been smoothed out by the snow....
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
JohnS
Topix Acquainted

Post by JohnS »

Hi,
Haven't been to this area but so was curious as to what it looks like. On Google maps the area is covered with snow but Bing maps shows this area snow free. Hope this helps.
http://binged.it/160M3BQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
wrjones
Topix Newbie

Post by wrjones »

Thanks JohnS,
Good to see the ridge without snow. I had not found that photo before.
Bill Jones
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Just bumping this thread as i am considering this route this august. any more info would be great!

summits
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Sierra_Summits wrote:Just bumping this thread as i am considering this route this august. any more info would be great!

summits
I'll be doing this route going the other direction in a couple of weeks. It's my first time in the area so I'm winging it. I'll post my GPS track and details. Thanks for the post Tom, the info is appreciated.

M
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

That sounds awesome!
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Hey Sierra Summits,

Due to the weather conditions last week I changed my plans and didn't make the trip to the Silver Divide. The forecast was pretty rough so I did a trip into the Emigrant Wilderness instead.

Sorry I don't have a GPS track to share with you.

Best,

M