Dorothy Lake out of Convict

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deej
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Dorothy Lake out of Convict

Post by deej »

I've attempted this lake three times now. Twice it was way too early in the season, and the third time, I know we could have made it, as we took the off road trail to Laurel Lakes and hiked in as far as Genevieve, but it was later in the day and my partner wasn't as "enthused" as I was in getting there and hiking out in the dark. Guess I don't blame him. My plan is to go spend the night out there. This time, I want to go up via Convict Canyon again. Anyone have any advice for crossing that washed out area? I also wondered if anyone can comment on the general area out there (Lake Dorothy and beyond). I hear it's very pretty, and it seems like a nice area for a weekender. I think Convict Canyon is beautiful and very inspiring as you travel up through the canyon. It's obviously calling me to head out farther than that outlet where the trail is washed out (below Genevieve). I was also wondering if that's the only "rough" spot. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
cab
Topix Newbie

Re: Dorothy Lake out of Convict

Post by cab »

I climbed Mt. Baldwin via Convict Canyon and Mildred Lake on Saturday 6/22. I didn't go to Dorothy Lake, but crossing Convict Creek where the bridge is washed out wasn't too much of a problem. The rocks are very wet and slippery, so you will want to take off your shoes to cross (unless you don't mind wet feet). I brought some super cheap and light sandals to wear while wading across the creek which worked nicely. Even without sandals or water shoes you could make it across in bare feet if you move slowly. The water is fairly fast moving, but there are spots to cross where it's not much more than ankle deep. Here are some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1128 ... 9370973265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

It can be tricky at high flow. I tried crossing without shoes, and quickly abandoned that idea. Your mileage may vary of course. This year it should be a no brainer though.

And yes the whole area is really nice. I like it a lot. I have been up there a few times and have found some AWESOME camp sites hidden away that look like they haven't been used in a very long time.

For just one or two nights, I would suggest ignoring the edith/genivieve area and concentrate on the Dorothy/Constance area.
deej
Topix Acquainted

Post by deej »

Thanks to both of you for responding. Sounds as if the Genevieve outlet is passable. And yes, I will concentrate on Dorothy/Constance since I already made it to Genevieve a few weeks ago via the dirt road to the trailhead at Laurel Lakes. Looking forward to visiting Dorothy!