Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes /Tuolumne area

Post by tdavidock »

Thanks Oaktown- I will provide these suggestions to folks heading out this weekend. Thanks for posting the updated release, Maverick.

Tom
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

PM sent Tom.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

It saddens me to ask this, but I feel like I have to. Is the PD looking into possibilities of things other than a hiking accident? Were there any observations by others in the campground of any problems with obnoxious other campers? Is there any possibility of altercation with the auto repair mechanic? Has the PD considered the possibility of foul play not related to hiking, like being kidnapped by someone who gave him a ride somewhere, i.e. was Matt given to hitchhike very often, was he trusting of strangers? I really feel bad in asking these things, but also hope the PD is leaving no stone unturned.

My best regards,
Tom H
kenish
Topix Newbie

Post by kenish »

Some thoughts-

1. Oaktown is right...there are other ways to retrieve browsing history. The library may erase the browsing history, but not the cache of images and web pages. A "IT forensics" person knows how to dig deeper...it's difficult to truly erase a hard drive.

2. Was Matt's phone inspected for stored photos, voice memos, internet history, access to the "cloud" for photos and storage, syncing his contacts/calendar, etc? (Maybe I missed that his phone is missing too)

3. If he has an account with Google, Apple, Facebook, etc, they definitely have a history of his account activity while he was logged in. They can also access his email account and look for any sent emails, photo uploads, etc. The ISP for the library should be able to retrieve browsing history and accesses to their routers and servers from the library computer.

4. Owens Gorge is a climbing spot about 15 miles SE of Mammoth Lakes. Any thought he may have gone there instead? Sometimes missing people are right under everyone's nose!

5. The press release asking climbers to check trail and peak logs is a good idea...but should ask climbers to report negative results too. Sometimes it doesn't occur to people that lack of evidence is valuable information.

6. Has anyone contacted hospitals in the region for "John Doe" patients? I don't know if there's a system automatically in place to do that, or if hospitals need to be alerted.

7. This may sound a little whacked but has a reputable psychic been consulted? There's a few out there...one recently led police to a missing child in this area; the police chief said they had pretty much given up.

8. Does the bus have a security cam? Does a store, bank, etc. have a camera that happens to cover the bus stop where he would have waited for the bus? That could verify whether or not he took the bus. He may have met another climber at the campground or in town the evening before and they carpooled to a different place instead.

9. The largest grocery store in ML is Vons, who is part of Safeway. Would Matt be the type to pay cash for groceries, but use a club card for the discount? He may have "stocked up" the evening of the 16th...if he used a club card they will have a record of what he purchased. Safeway uses either the card number or you can enter your phone number.

Hope these help. All the best to the searchers!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kenish,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for thoughts, and for registering as a member to get involved
in finding Matt. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

I read the entire thread here, but unfortunately have nothing to contribute. Wishes go out to Matt, hope he is found soon.

I do want to let you know that we are heading to Mt. Lyell tomorrow and we'll be on the lookout for any signs of him. We are taking the standard route from Tuolumne Meadows, up Lyell canyon, then taking the glacier to the Lyell-Maclure saddle before climbing to the summit. We will check the register at both summits (Maclure is optional target). This will be a single day attempt - the infamous 30-mile hike.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Alpineholydog
Topix Novice

Post by Alpineholydog »

A couple of thoughts...
What guidebook was he using and what pages were missing?
Mammoth shuttle runs at 715 up to trailheads so to actually climb any Minerets would be very ambitious with long hikes from Soda springs to Minerets Lake 7.1 miles one way. Agnew to Ediza Lake is around 6 miles.

One possibility would be for him to shoot for Nydiver and up the east chute to the saddle between Ritter and Banner. I was there last year and while not too technical, there is need for crampons in that area on that snowfield up to the saddle.

Ritter via southeast glacier has more snow but pretty tough to round trip ascend in one day especially taking the shuttles.

Last thought. Did he speak of reading Missing in the Minerets? Would he have tried to see Clyde or Michael Minerets?

I will be in area 9/1 and keep an eye out. Hope he's found well before then.
Prayers for you guys.
Alpineholydog
Topix Novice

Post by Alpineholydog »

Read more details and saw guide was High Sierra by Secor.
Saw he climbed Clyde 7/11. Did he do it in one day round trip?
Would check base of snowfield and bergshrunds at Ritter Banner notch saddle approach from Ediza/Nydiver.
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Hi-

Local search group is out there now. Got a question about Michael Minaret. Has anyone been out there recently or is planning to go? Also, any beta on a likely route that would require snow tools?

Thanks,
Tom
tdavidock
Topix Acquainted

Post by tdavidock »

Thanks for the suggestions- I passed the info along to the team.