Escalante, Utah...Backpacking Coyote Gulch

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

My husband and myself 1st explored Coyote Gulch in 1992..when it was still not really known..we saw three other people the four days we were in the canyon.
We fell in love with the area..and made trips back there and differnet canyons a few more times...the last time we were there was in 1999.

We are planning a backpacking trip back there this October...I am wondering if any of you have been down this canyon recently and if you have seen any changes as far as more people or signs of destruction of to many people hiking the canyon without having a quota placed on how many people allowed each day to enter.

Thank you!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Escalante, Utah...Backpacking Coyote Gulch

Post by rlown »

Wow! Brought back a whole bunch of memories with the word Escalante!

I was there in Sept of '84 and then again for another Month in Sept/Oct of '88. We went further East to Boulder Town, where the Burr trail heads down into the canyonlands. They paved the Burr in the early/mid '90's much to everyone's disdain. I'm sure that paving has led to an influx of visitors.

We were there at that time not to backpack, but to hunt. You're planning right in the middle of Elk/Deer season. I can tell you that influx of that type of visitor hasn't decreased. Bring something orange colored.

The DWR's calendar is at http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/calendar/m ... %7C58.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also have access to the Dixies and the area around Boulder Mtn at 11k one day, and then the next you can drop into the canyons out of the Burr. Fishing was great for rainbows everywhere we went. Good to 18" even in the canyons.

Absolutely love that area. I'd go in a second regardless!
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Post by J ney »

I was just in Coyote Gulch just a week or so ago. I put in at Crack-in-the-Wall, went up the Escalante to Stevens Canyon and then back through Coyote Gulch and out through Hurricane Wash. I ran into only a couple of people until I got to Jacob Hamblin Arch where there must've been about 5 or 6 groups totaling 15 people in the span of a mile or so (including some noisy teens, and you know how sound carries in the canyon).
The litter was not too bad and the collection of Anasazi relics made it seem like there were not plunderers abound. I am already itching to go back again!! Absolutely mind-blowing trip!

PM me if you have any other questions.

I've been lurking for a while, funny that my first post isn't even about the Sierra :-)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi J ney,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for helping a fellow member out with the info. We would love
to read a TR with pictures about your trip in this section of HST. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi Everyone..Thank you so much for the comments!

rlown..I knew about the paving of the Burr Trail..I really wished they would have left it unpaved..the times I have been in the canyon in October..I have never seen any hunters..but I know there is always a possiblity and will be cautious..Our plan is to stay in low in the canyon. Boulder is a cool little community...Do you know the specific dates of the season?

j ney....Thanks for that report..to bad about all the people around the Arch..there is that wonderful spring coming out of the rocks just past it down river..glad to read about the litter not being to bad. How far did you go up Stevens Canyon? the last time I was there..we went up a ways..not far..we came across a great spring.
It's an amazing place as you you have seen...breathtakingly beautiful!..we also hiked up river from Stevens Canyon..all just so beautiful..I could spend months expoloring all the little side canyons and the river itself

Thanks Maverick!...nice to read the comments
steelieeric
Topix Novice

Post by steelieeric »

So I have to laugh as I was searching for byond the sierra topic and one of the first topics is this. I am going to be fishing in less than 2 weeks out in Boulder Utah. Tiger trout, splake, bonneville cutties and colorado cutties are on the bill to catch. I will have to post a trip report when I get back. :)
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Where outside of boulder, I've spent lots of time there.
Be sure to have a full tank of gas, the local stop often closes to
Go fishing.
steelieeric
Topix Novice

Post by steelieeric »

Sorry for the late report.....So the first day of fishing with the guide I caught some nice Colorado Cutties. the largest being apporx. 19.5 inches long. Perfect looking fish! It was a easy hike to the lake. Day 2 was for Bonneville Cutties-Caught a mess of them. The largest was approx. 21 inches long. All the fish were staged near streams getting ready to spawn. The hile was a little tougher....Day 3 the hike was awful! Long and steep. The elevation has been between 7-9,000 ft in elev. The mrning was spent fishing for brookies. I lost the only strike. The guide wanted to go to another lake...Again, the hike was awful. We finally got to the lake after hiking 2 hrs. and caught some more Colorado cutties. They were on the bite then disaster struck.....I was wupped from 4 days of hiking so I wanted to hike out, knowing that it would take 2-3 hrs and after hiking approx. 17 miles at 7-9,00 elev. The guide went balistic and threatened to leave me on the trail after some coaxing he stayed near me to hike out. I have a whopping total of 6 pictures from the trip....I will show them if people would like. If people go to Boulder, Utah! This guide is trouble! PM me if you want his name......
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Please post the pics. Make it your own NEW thread here.