Mt. Muir

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Muir

Post by Vaca Russ »

TITLE: Mt. Muir

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Mt. Muir is one of California’s 15 14ers and is a fun diversion to tackle during the long day summiting Whitney.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 3

ELEVATION: 14,018 feet

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): USGS MOUNT WHITNEY Quad, California, Topographic Map

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: There are several routes up Mt. Muir. The easiest is to follow the trail up to the Whitney Summit Trail / John Muir Trail Junction and continue along the trail for about one more mile. Find and climb the scree choked slope up to the face of the summit. From here, rock climb to the summit. For the more adventurous and skilled climber you can climb the east buttress starting from Trail Camp rated class 4 to 5.9. (Other routes are a WIP)

PHOTOS: It is a long day to hike to the place you leave the trail to climb to the summit block of Muir.

You can see Muir while climbing the switchbacks on the Whitney Summit Trail.
1 Muir From Switchbacks.JPG
You look down on Muir’s summit block from the summit of Whitney
2 Muir from Whitney.JPG
The point where you leave the trail to climb Muir is about 0.8 miles south of the Whitney summit.
3 Scree.JPG
Sport declined to join me during my climb because she is a very wise, sensible and intelligent lady. :)

Once you reach the top of the scree choked slope you find yourself at the base of the rock wall. Take the easy route a little to the left and then to the right. You will then find yourself at the bottom of this chimney.
4 Chimney.JPG
From here most people climb up and around that rock protruding on the left. I didn’t feel comfortable following that route. I just kept climbing straight up the chimney.
Each person should take the route they feel is most safe. “Take my advice, don’t listen to me.” :D

Once on top I found the ammo box on the south side of the summit block.
5 Ammo Box.JPG
The register has been there since 2009.
6 Register.JPG
I signed the register and entered a little advertisement for HST. :D :nod:
7 Vaca Russ.JPG
One has an excellent view of the trail’s switchbacks from the summit of Muir
8 Switchbacks.JPG

The climb down also offers a little exposure.
9 Climb Down.JPG
Please note that this climb should only be attempted by an experienced rock climber. One should probably consider climbing with a partner and gear so as to belay you during your climb.
10 Muir from switchbacks.JPG
Please feel free to ask me to edit my errors and add your comments and photos.

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaca Russ on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Muir

Post by austex »

Russ,
Bagged another! But in a less than "Sporty" fashion this time.... :rolleyes:
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Muir

Post by Vaca Russ »

Please see this post for a detailed description on how to climb this crag using a rope:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.