Locator Beacon: PLB or SPOT?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Locator Beacon: PLB or SPOT?

Post by ondafringe »

In early 2012, I made the decision to buy a personal locator beacon (PLB). Prior to making that decision, I did a lot of research into the differences between a SPOT and a true PLB, which lead me to choose a PLB. Since buying my unit, I have fielded a lot of questions from other hikers about my decision-making process. This past summer, I finally got around to writing up the results of my research and posting them in an article on my blog.

If any of you are contemplating the purchase of a locator beacon, there are major differences between a SPOT device and a true PLB you should be aware of, not only technical differences but also differences in the rescue-response protocol. So if any of you have a locator beacon on your Christmas list, and you wish to avail yourself of my research, you can read my blog article at the following link, and I hope you find the information useful in your decision-making process, as well.

Why I Bought a PLB (or... Why I Didn't Buy a SPOT)
Last edited by ondafringe on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Locator Beacon: PLB or SPOT?

Post by Jimr »

Nice write-up. I came to the same conclusions when researching SPOT vs PLB. I bought the McMurdo Fastfind 220 operating at the same wavelengths and wattage. 6 year battery life.

My wife wanted the SPOT abilities to send o.k. info, but I did not like the annual fees or the fact that if an o.k. signal or two did not reach it's intended target, there becomes undue cause for worry. I chose to have her go with my original planning and not worry unless there is an emergency, period.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

Thanks, Jim, appreciate your comment. And good to hear that someone else arrived at the same conclusion.

And I hear you about the fees associated with a SPOT device, as well as the undue alarm that would be created if an "OK" message didn't get through. However, IMO, the biggest negatives about SPOT: It is a low power, high-frequency device, which is just the opposite of what you need in the back country, and the escape clause contained within their user agreement. IMO, that escape clause is completely unacceptable.
Last edited by ondafringe on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great write up George. The "My Satellite Network and Rescue Protocol Is More
Sophisticated Than Your Satellite Network and Rescue Protocol" and "I Got No
Power" sections are some of the reasons, after doing my own research, that I
would not trust SPOT. Read an article that Globalstar is just trying to stay afloat
and SPOT was developed for this very purpose till they can relaunch a viable
satellite network, if this is the case, I for one have no intentions of buying any
safety device with Globalstar backing.

PS Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Phil B.
Your Run-of-the-mill Internet Troll

Post by Phil B. »

Great article and information. Thanks for sharing.
Formerly "FISHPOLE"
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

Thanks for your comments, Mav and Phil. And appreciate the "Welcome," Mav.

Hadn't heard that about GlobalStar but don't blame you for being leery of that operation. And agree totally that SPOT should not be used/trusted as a rescue beacon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Quote from the article:
Globalstar. Globalstar never ceased operations. After filing for bankruptcy in
2002, the company was re-organized and got under control of an investment
company Thermo Capital Partners LLC. The new Globalstar has been financially
troubled since 2006-07 when most of its first generation satellites experienced
degradation of service due to effects of radiation in space. As a result, Globalstar's
Satellite Phone Service has been hardly available, but the company, although
unprofitable, managed to stay afloat in part due to success of its personal
satellite messenger SPOT. They managed to fund building and launching the
new satellites (the last 6 were launched in February 2013), which will let Globalstar
fully restore their voice and data service by summer or fall 2013. Financial prospects
for Globalstar are still uncertain, since the company will have to spend a lot to
acquire a sufficient customer base.

To summarize, the initial projects failed in part due to high expectations, lack of
specialization, lavish spending and unwillingness of their huge parents to support
the ventures after initial problems. The new companies (especially Iridium) managed
to find their market niche and focus on it, fully exploiting the existing infrastructure
(which they didn't have to build initially).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ondafringe
Topix Acquainted

Post by ondafringe »

That's interesting, Mav. I read somewhere that SPOT has 250,000 customers, so no wonder it helped them stay afloat while redoing their satellite network.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"However, IMO, the biggest negatives about SPOT: It is a low power, high-frequency device, which is just the opposite of what you need in the back country"

Exactly! those were the "same conclusions" I referred to. The undue worry over missed "O.K." signals and annual fees just sealed my decision.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I used the Gen3 SPOT on my last trip into SEKI in a variety of conditions and locations. All my messages were confirmed as sent, and were received and plotted onto a map for the recipients. No complaints, or regrets.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien