2014 Fitness Resolutions

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2014 Fitness Resolutions

Post by maverick »

What changes/additions will you be making this coming year to your training regime
to make yourself a stronger, and a better outdoorsman/woman than in 2013? Does
this also include new eating habits? Will you be joining a gym, hiring a trainer, or
following some new online fitness trend geared towards backpackers/climbers?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: 2014 Fitness Resolutions

Post by Jimr »

Probably get back to day hikes. That's about it. I already teach martial arts and do an early sunday morning coreboard workout (my wife teaches the class).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Which type of martial arts Jim? Did Shotokan (karate) for 8 years back in the 70's
and 80's. Judo for about 3 years in late 60's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I only make resolutions I know I can keep.

So for 2014 I resolve to eat more and exercise less.

I am confident I can achieve my goals. :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Last year I quit energy drinks, now it's only black or green tea in the morning. I guess my resolution is to just get out more, this year has been all work. I've only camped maybe 30 days. :thumbsdown:
I've considered no alcohol as I went 2 months this year without a drop and feel it could help even though I only have a relative small amount.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I vow that i will be way out of shape until the reality hits 2 months before ice out at French and Royce.

Then I will mobilize to stare at the idea a 52lb pack for 12 days and do both basins and start a regimen. As we are all on the pc reading this, it's obvious the reality hasn't set in yet. :)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Mav, I teach Hapkido.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

In April I started bike commuting to and from work (15 miles each way) 2-3 days a week, which works out to about 60-90 miles, or an additional 4-6 hours of cardio a week. After two months I dropped 10 pounds without altering my beer and pizza diet. Note that I wasn't necessarily heavy either at 170 lbs., 5' 10".

More recently, I've started limiting my calorie intake and reducing processed foods, fats, sugars, alcohol, etc. and upping lean meats and veggies. Well, in no time I dropped another 10 lbs. The best part is that I'm happy with my new routine. It's not a chore. I look forward to my rides and my energy levels are up and even since I've started eating better.

On the trail I've noticed a huge improvement. First off, my backpack fits better. The hip belt no longer slides down after a while since it now can lock onto my hip bones, not a "padded" version of my hip bones. My knees and ankles don't hurt at the end of a long day and I definitely have more energy and strength while powering up a grade.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.