Winter Day Excursions Along 395

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Winter Day Excursions Along 395

Post by Rockyroad »

Can anyone suggest some places for short day hikes (have snowshoes and microspikes) or other places of interest along highway 395 in the winter?

My wife and I will be driving from the LA area to the SF Bay Area in 2 weeks and we were interested in taking a few days along the "scenic" route and then heading back along highway 50/80. I've been down 395 in the summer and fall but never in the winter so don't know which roads will be closed. Alabama Hills, Lake Convict, South Tufa are some ideas we had. Any suggestions for showshoe trails with great scenery? Is the road to Bishop South Lake open or advisable? Ideas for sunrises or sunsets? Obviously, if the weather turns nasty, we'll cancel our plans and just take boring highway 5.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Re: Winter Day Excursions Along 395

Post by Rockyroad »

Hmm, I guess my questions may have been too general. Anyways, we had a great time exploring Alabama Hills, got a late start from Bishop so just hiked from the road closure at Aspendell to Lake Sabrina (not much snow), and checked out the tufas at Mono Lake.

Lake Sabrina

A few more photos here if you're interested... https://sites.google.com/site/mytrailmi ... -route-395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for posting. Really liked the Mono lake pics.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Day hike options are overwhelming on the eastside. Plus you can soak your sore muscles after
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

Stunning photos!

Andy