JMT dilemma

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Duxbait
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

JMT dilemma

Post by Duxbait »

So I've got a flight out of Fresno at 7pm on 5/31. I'm going to be hiking on the JMT heading south. I was thinking of exiting the mountains from Roads End or Sequoia. The more I think about it, the more I am tempted to just finish the trail and head to Whitney Portal. The trouble is the transportation. Anyone have any advice? Which exit point would you prefer? Thanks

Sequoia looks the most scenic, but we all love climbing peaks :smirk:
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: JMT dilemma

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Can't you just exit at the Portal and head for Lonepine to pick up a bus that can get you back to Yosemite?
Duxbait
Topix Novice

Post by Duxbait »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Can't you just exit at the Portal and head for Lonepine to pick up a bus that can get you back to Yosemite?
Well this would be the easiest but the bus running Rt120 opens on June 1st.
So my options are to take a bus from Lone Pine to Mojave, then a bus to Bakersfiend where I can catch the AMTRAk into Fresno.
OR
Take the Sequoia Shuttle out of Kings Canyon and into Visalia. Spend the night in Visalia ( bus only leaves the park in afternoons) and take AMTRAK into Fresno.

Both options mean at least a day burnt just getting to the airport. You guys know anything I don't?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Probably too late because you would have to change reservations, but getting from Lone Pine to Reno is not that difficult. If doing the JMT and depending on public transportation, I think Reno is a better place to fly in and out of than Fresno.

The other option is to try to hitch. I have had good luck, particularly if I ask for rides from a wilderness ranger station.

This year is about a month ahead of schedule with respect to weather/ snowmelt. Check when you get to a resupply point (ie: Reds Meadow)- the buses may start up ahead of normal schedule. Personally if I were doing the JMT I would exit the portal. I would hate to miss this extremely scenic section of the JMT. The portal is a very busy place and if you are not shy about asking a ton of people, you may find someone who would take you to Fresno if you were to pay for their gas.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Oh yes +1 on WDs advice. Any chance to switch departing flights to Reno?

Just to be clear, if you exit at roads end there will be no bus waiting for you. There is no bus service in Kings Canyon proper. The confusion lies in that both parks are managed together as "SEKI".

You need to exit the backcountry @ lodgepole or wolverton in sequoia, and catch the park shuttle to the museum where you will catch the bus to visalia. You need to make reservations for the bus to visalia, and I think it is 7$.

I have ridden the bus without a reservation, but I had to wait for an opening and they acted like I was an ass when I did it.

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

So you're doing this without a resupply at MTR? They won't be open for resupply pickup until June 21.

The opening dates for the resupply points are variable - just because we can hike earlier than usual doesn't mean roads or resorts will open earlier. Better check into the other resupply points, because unless you're breaking some kind of speed record or willing to carry a bear canister the size of a VW it's going to have an impact on your trip.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Just go into Cedar Grove and do a buy as you go resupply and then keep going and bag Whitney and then head out the High Sierra Trail to Lodgepole.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rogue's plan is good - basically take the High Sierra Trail to Crescent Meadows. Two great routes done at once! Several people I met last summer on the JMT were doing exactly this. IF you have the time- it would take a few more days than simply exiting to the portal, so you would likely need to change your plane ticket.

Two things to carry with you - plenty of cash to offer if you hitch hike and bus schedules for each side of the Sierra.
Duxbait
Topix Novice

Post by Duxbait »

Thanks for all the advice guys. And I will be going without a resupply at MTR. Instead I will be using VVR. Its only a days worth more food to carry.
jcmurphy
Topix Newbie

Post by jcmurphy »

You are right to go for it.

I always have luck getting a ride - especially if solo. I bring cash and I offer to pay but people are happy to help. If you are bashful make a sign and bring it with you. There used to be some locals who shuttled. Fair price I thought. They were close friends of the folks who run the store at the portal - you might want to call them ahead.

I hope the snow is not too bad. Have you heard any early reports?