Thousand island lake backpacking memorial weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thousand island lake backpacking memorial weekend

Post by Mike M. »

What would the conditions be like for going up the river trail to thousand island lake and surrounding area for 3 nights backpacking on memorial weekend? Lots of snow or little snow? Snow shoes or micro spikes? When does the road open down to reds meadow? Thanks
Assuming you can get to the trailhead, my guess is that you'd be good to go Memorial Day weekend. Expect snow above 10,000 feet, with patches of snow lower down in areas that don't receive full sun. Also, expect high water in creeks. Regarding snowshoes, I wouldn't bother -- they aren't much use in the kind of snow you're likely to encounter. If I were you, I'd give it a try and come prepared to improvise. Any snow you do come across will slow you down considerably.

I did the Rae Lakes loop counter clockwise from Cedar Grove in the first week of June 1977 (another very dry year) and we had a blast. Glen Pass had a lot of snow but we slept on bare ground at Rae Lakes. Dragon Lake was just beginning to melt. We dayhiked into 60 Lakes Basin and detoured up to Baxter Lake on the way back to Cedar Grove.

Four weeks out, it's anybody's guess what kind of conditions you will come across. Bottom line: if you've got the time, you'll be able to find an area accessible from the east side that will give you the Sierra fix you crave.

Mike
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Beantown »

Mike M. wrote:
What would the conditions be like for going up the river trail to thousand island lake and surrounding area for 3 nights backpacking on memorial weekend? Lots of snow or little snow? Snow shoes or micro spikes? When does the road open down to reds meadow? Thanks
Assuming you can get to the trailhead, my guess is that you'd be good to go Memorial Day weekend. Expect snow above 10,000 feet, with patches of snow lower down in areas that don't receive full sun. Also, expect high water in creeks. Regarding snowshoes, I wouldn't bother -- they aren't much use in the kind of snow you're likely to encounter. If I were you, I'd give it a try and come prepared to improvise. Any snow you do come across will slow you down considerably.

I did the Rae Lakes loop counter clockwise from Cedar Grove in the first week of June 1977 (another very dry year) and we had a blast. Glen Pass had a lot of snow but we slept on bare ground at Rae Lakes. Dragon Lake was just beginning to melt. We dayhiked into 60 Lakes Basin and detoured up to Baxter Lake on the way back to Cedar Grove.

Four weeks out, it's anybody's guess what kind of conditions you will come across. Bottom line: if you've got the time, you'll be able to find an area accessible from the east side that will give you the Sierra fix you crave.

Mike
Thanks. If it were me alone I wouldn't worry about the snow. It's the fiancé lol! Past 2 year we backpacked on memorial weekend, up to summit lake and blossom lakes out of mountain home demonstration. Looking to switch it up this year.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

I was planning an out and back from Reds Meadow to Iva Bell hot springs over Memorial Day weekend. Looks like I won't be able to go now, but it's a good 3 day option if you want to avoid the snow.
Tarun
Topix Newbie

Post by Tarun »

We are headed too ! Looks like we got to look for Plan B
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tarun wrote:
We are headed too ! Looks like we got to look for Plan B
Welcome to HST! Which ever trip you end up doing please write up a TR, it will
help other members in planning their trips.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
abhijitaparadh
Topix Novice

Post by abhijitaparadh »

We also were thinking of the same, I called up Mammoth ranger station and the ranger said that we will hit snow even if we take PCT on memorial day weekend. Mammoth area has received some late snow this year.

Hence dropped the idea and going to SEKI instead.
Tarun
Topix Newbie

Post by Tarun »

I visited Mammoth Lakes yesterday and ranger said roads to meadows are likely to open on May 17th.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

I too have plans to hike up to 1000 isle via the pct with a jmt return out of Agnew meadows Memorial weekend.Got turned back on the trail to Mt. Charelston Nv. this past weekend due to sketchy snow near the summit. I will be keeping a eye on this topic.
rokubota
Topix Newbie

Post by rokubota »

Hello Mark - we are planning for a trip over the Duck Pass for the last week of this month. Do you have an advice on the trail condition? (my applogies if I should've opened another thread - I'm a newbie here and it'll take a bit to get used to..)?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Everything here is melting rapidly -
In the shade/trees, the snow line is currently around 9500 - 10,000 feet - still icy in the mornings but "posthole-ably" nasty afternoons. Lakes at 10,000 are now giving it up, begrudgingly - opening up very soon.
However, as it is 73º here today...same till Saturday...(You cannot believe how nice it is...no wind too), I give it a week and most of all Sierra should be wide open if exposed.
Go out now! Looks like a good Sierra week.
Warning...Expecting a front (maybe heavy snow too) late next week - just in time for the holidays.

It might be bone-dry later on, but by June 1, perfect Sierra hiking conditions...no Mosquitoes yet either.
Mountainman who swims with trout