Thousand island lake backpacking memorial weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Thousand island lake backpacking memorial weekend

Post by Beantown »

Sounds like 1000 island lake is possible for memorial weekend? I'm still planning on being up there staying at deadman and just hiking and fishing so I'll be looking for updates.

Tha ks
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

Seems like everyone has the same idea...all the permits are reserved for Saturday at all the trailheads in the area. Guess I'll have to get a walk in permit, I was planning on heading up Friday anyways.
arundodonax
Topix Novice

Post by arundodonax »

Beantown wrote:Seems like everyone has the same idea...all the permits are reserved for Saturday at all the trailheads in the area. Guess I'll have to get a walk in permit, I was planning on heading up Friday anyways.
Yup.

If it's any consolation, duck pass has permits—not exactly the same area, but interesting nonetheless...

Anyone know what time we will need to get there to get permits, considering it's the holiday? Is opening on Saturday sufficient, or should we get there beforehand to avoid a wait?
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

My plans are still on for a Friday morning start, although looking at the mammoth web cams it is presently snowing as I write this.
Also checked Red's site and they state they will be open for this weekend and the shuttle will be running.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Thousand island lake backpacking memorial weekend

Post by AlmostThere »

Tioga is closed. Going over Tehachapi or Carson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arundodonax
Topix Novice

Post by arundodonax »

cahikr wrote:My plans are still on for a Friday morning start, although looking at the mammoth web cams it is presently snowing as I write this.
The NOHRSC model is showing that the new snow should be mostly melted off by Saturday morning. Of course, there haven't been very good reports about the existing snow in that area recently. This weekend is calling for nicer weather and good temps.
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

I was just out at Iva Bell Hotsprings this past week. Rode our bikes down since the road is closed till this weekend(Friday). Super nice down that way.....green, warm and good water flow but nothing too crazy for this time of year. Some mosquitos were out and about. On our way out we were looking at the High Trail and it looks pretty clear until maybe you get closer to Thousand Island. I am sure it is still patchy in spots, etc. amongst the pine forest. Either choice will be great. Supposed to be warm this weekend and the new snow should be melted off.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jenreyn,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the update, any pic's?. Did you ever find your camera
and sunglasses?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

I did not find them. I ended up hiking out to Puppet Pass and back to Piute TH in a day to look. No dice but the terrain all looks the same so either they are there somewhere or someone picked them up. I noticed a couple boot tracks in the vicinity from that prior week so who knows.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

I was able to get a permit for agnew meadows a spot opened up. I'm going Saturday morning to 1000 island then to ediza for sun and hiking out mon. Talked to the ranger today and said the mountain got 6 inches if snow, none at the city elev. road scheduled to open Friday to reds. Should be a good weekend!