Backpacking Article I & II for Beginners

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backpacking Article I & II for Beginners

Post by maverick »

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... fhL81O5dcC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... fhL1FO5dcA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Re: Backpacking Article I & II for Beginners

Post by JosiahSpurr »

The article says that a backpack is so common that you can assume everyone will bring one. The same could be said of a tent (it's listed under group gear). However, it would be good to introduce The HAMMOCK to the beginner as an option to bringing a tent. (1.) in a large group, if at least one person brings a tent, it can be used to haul an injured hiker who can't walk; (2.) lighter; (3.) it takes practice to hang it from trees or rocks using low-dynamic rope and maybe some rock climbing equipment; (4.) won't flood; (5.) in cold weather, a pad is required or you will literally freeze your ass (backside) off; (6.) can be used on slopes and rocky terrain where a tent can't be set-up which actually is a huge benefit because with a tent you either cut the day's hike short or extend it to be at a level site for the nite (you will travel faster at the beginning of a trip which means more time at the end of a trip when accident rates may be higher from exhaustion); (7.) I can remember having trouble falling asleep due to tossing & turning to find a comfortable spot on the ground which is no longer a problem in a hammock; (8.) can't burn your hammock down while cooking; (9.) can't get the inside of your hammock dirty by stuffing all your gear inside; (10.) faster to set-up, take-down, and pack; (11.) eases risk of night fears that happen when you are in a tent and wondering, "what was that noise?"; (12.) closer to nature, see the trees and stars and sunrise because you are literally sleeping outdoors; (13.) add your own to the list. ***
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

rcymbala wrote:The article says that a backpack is so common that you can assume everyone will bring one. The same could be said of a tent (it's listed under group gear). However, it would be good to introduce The HAMMOCK to the beginner as an option to bringing a tent. (1.) in a large group, if at least one person brings a tent, it can be used to haul an injured hiker who can't walk; (2.) lighter; (3.) it takes practice to hang it from trees or rocks using low-dynamic rope and maybe some rock climbing equipment; (4.) won't flood; (5.) in cold weather, a pad is required or you will literally freeze your ass (backside) off; (6.) can be used on slopes and rocky terrain where a tent can't be set-up which actually is a huge benefit because with a tent you either cut the day's hike short or extend it to be at a level site for the nite (you will travel faster at the beginning of a trip which means more time at the end of a trip when accident rates may be higher from exhaustion); (7.) I can remember having trouble falling asleep due to tossing & turning to find a comfortable spot on the ground which is no longer a problem in a hammock; (8.) can't burn your hammock down while cooking; (9.) can't get the inside of your hammock dirty by stuffing all your gear inside; (10.) faster to set-up, take-down, and pack; (11.) eases risk of night fears that happen when you are in a tent and wondering, "what was that noise?"; (12.) closer to nature, see the trees and stars and sunrise because you are literally sleeping outdoors; (13.) add your own to the list. ***
You almost have me convinced to try a hammock! :) :D

But...what do you do with your puppies? :D :)
1zgirls.JPG
2Harness.JPG
7exhausted%20girls[1].JPG
-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Some people let the dogs in the hammock with them.

Mine sleeps just underneath, on her pad, right where I can scratch her ears in the morning.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

how do you sleep on your stomach in a hammock?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:how do you sleep on your stomach in a hammock?

Mike

Roll over on your stomach.

Seriously, the bridge hammock is made for stomach sleepers, and it's not impossible in a shaped asymmetrical hammock that's designed to let you sleep flat on the diagonal, either.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I have never slept in or depended on a hammock - still, somewhat interested but with a few questions - Re: the list above.

2.) Lighter: Regarding weight savings Tarptent vs. Hammock. My TT + stakes & poles comes in at 2.1 pounds packed weight - how much lighter is your Hammock...assume hammock pack-weight also includes some sort of bug net (needed more than a rain fly - Sierra), some sort of rain tarp over the hammock, all ropes and straps?

(3.) it takes practice to hang it from trees or rocks using low-dynamic rope and maybe some rock climbing equipment; This is my biggest concern - as typically camped above treeline, how do you find two trees/rocks, whatever, spaced apart to hang up the hammock? BTW, I have seen straps (added weight?) used to safeguard trees but what ropes/anchors (more weight?) work best with erratics?

(5.) in cold weather, a pad is required or you will literally freeze your ass (backside) off; In cold weather, is a pad needed in both tent or hammock? Is there a size difference in pad-size needed in a hammock? In my TT Rainbow, I regularly use a Prolite Plus short pad...Would the same size pad also work well in a hammock?

(6.) can be used on slopes and rocky terrain where a tent can't be set-up which actually is a huge benefit because with a tent you either cut the day's hike short or extend it to be at a level site for the nite (you will travel faster at the beginning of a trip which means more time at the end of a trip when accident rates may be higher from exhaustion); (Read this 4 times and still do not know what you mean here.) Unless using for climbing (then a Porta-Ledge system), finding a 6 foot ~ level slab at 11,000 feet would seem much easier than finding two trees (or rock) the right distance apart.

(10.) faster to set-up, take-down, and pack; My Rainbow is 2 minutes from pack to sleeping bag lounging; the hammock cannot be that much faster to set up. Maybe you could be a bit quicker to take down (avoids the dry-out, tent-bottom stage)...assuming not needed for a hammock before packing up...BTW, My tent lives in a side pocket - last thing packed.

12.) closer to nature, see the trees and stars and sunrise because you are literally sleeping outdoors; What?
Mountainman who swims with trout
jeepmannva
Topix Newbie

Post by jeepmannva »

My wife and I have been hammock camping for years now. I have a bad back and sleeping on the ground is extremely uncomfortable for me. However, in a hammock I am pain free.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeep,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading about your trips to the Sierra or maybe
an intro: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KrazyKolb
Topix Novice

Post by KrazyKolb »

I'm intrigued by his footwear suggestions. He makes the claim that "boots don’t help protect your ankles. Studies have shown that they could be the cause of some ankle related problems"

Is this commonly accepted, or is that just a suggestion because he's dealing with younger kids and doesn't want to spend a lot of money on gear that will be outgrown?