3 day trip suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
40wada
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

3 day trip suggestions

Post by 40wada »

Hello I was hoping for suggestions for a secluded 3 day backpacking trip in October. Would like to get some fishing in too. I was looking at the Tuolumne county area.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3 day trip suggestions

Post by maverick »

Hi 40wada,

Welcome to HST! Please read: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Hi and welcome to HST. Glad to have you aboard. There are many people here who are able and will be glad to help you. You can help us do that better by filling out your profile in detail and also by reading this post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then coming back to the thread you're in right now and giving answers to all those questions in a follow up post.

As soon as you can do that, I'm sure members will chip in some suggestions.

Again, Welcome.
TomH
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

My apologies to the OP and to Mav. We were typing at the same time. When I clicked on "Submit" for the above post, I was not aware that Mav had already requested you read and reply to the link above.
40wada
Topix Newbie

Post by 40wada »

Thanks for the info, let me give this another shot.

My backpacking experience is limited to day trips, using hiking trails.

The terrain I prefer is trails, I am willing to do some river crossings.

My main interest is fishing.

My trip is planed for a 3 day trip, 5 miles on an out and back trip, I was looking to do this trip in tuolumne county area, no dog will be with me.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You likely will not find a "secluded" trip of three days. But the Emigrant Wilderness would be a good candidate for your purposes. Another option would be to drive out to Cherry Lake and hike into Yosemite over the ridge to one of the lakes in that area. It's not so hard to do, and there's good fishing at Lake Eleanor as well (I caught a decent size silver phase rainbow out of it) however you do have a designated campsite situation there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By October you will not have to worry about seclusion since there is little backcountry use that time of year. Thus I would not eliminate an area because it is heavily used in the summer. With only 3 days, I would focus more on shorter drive times to the trailhead. I did not see where you live.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry I saw you said Tuolumne area. There are not many 5 mile options. The only one I can think of is Green Lake/East Lake. There are numerous 5-mile options in Desolation. Not sure if that area is an option for you.
NorCal Jon
Topix Novice

Post by NorCal Jon »

Having just come back from the Green Creek TH, I would agree this would be good if you're looking to lake fish or small stream.

TR here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I packed into East Lake from the TH, which is about 4 miles but climbs from 8000' to 9500', then you could base camp there to fish and explore the lakes further up.

My short fishing notes here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;